Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 7:51:02 AM

I work as a contract employee. Most of the time I travel to location but I work from home also. I go through an agency that pays me with W2. Can I still get write offs?

0 2 249
1 Best answer
Level 9
Jun 6, 2019 7:51:05 AM

Nothing in you post indicates you have any expenses to write off.

Driving to work is non-deductible commuting.  Because your employer doesn't require you to work from home (you usually work at the location), you would not have a deductible Home Office.

However, if you do have any deductible expenses, they would be employee job expenses, which is in the category of deductions that is limited to the amount OVER 2% of your income (and is further reduced or eliminated if you don't otherwise itemize your deductions).  In other words, unless you have a lot of expenses, those deductions probably won't save you any money.

2 Replies
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 7:51:04 AM

Job related expenses for a W-2 employee are claimed/reported under the Deductions & Credits tab in the section called "Job Related Expenses".

Level 9
Jun 6, 2019 7:51:05 AM

Nothing in you post indicates you have any expenses to write off.

Driving to work is non-deductible commuting.  Because your employer doesn't require you to work from home (you usually work at the location), you would not have a deductible Home Office.

However, if you do have any deductible expenses, they would be employee job expenses, which is in the category of deductions that is limited to the amount OVER 2% of your income (and is further reduced or eliminated if you don't otherwise itemize your deductions).  In other words, unless you have a lot of expenses, those deductions probably won't save you any money.