turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rkpopo

I work as a contract employee. Most of the time I travel to location but I work from home also. I go through an agency that pays me with W2. Can I still get write offs?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work as a contract employee. Most of the time I travel to location but I work from home also. I go through an agency that pays me with W2. Can I still get write offs?

Nothing in you post indicates you have any expenses to write off.

Driving to work is non-deductible commuting.  Because your employer doesn't require you to work from home (you usually work at the location), you would not have a deductible Home Office.

However, if you do have any deductible expenses, they would be employee job expenses, which is in the category of deductions that is limited to the amount OVER 2% of your income (and is further reduced or eliminated if you don't otherwise itemize your deductions).  In other words, unless you have a lot of expenses, those deductions probably won't save you any money.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Job related expenses for a W-2 employee are claimed/reported under the Deductions & Credits tab in the section called "Job Related Expenses".

Nothing in you post indicates you have any expenses to write off.

Driving to work is non-deductible commuting.  Because your employer doesn't require you to work from home (you usually work at the location), you would not have a deductible Home Office.

However, if you do have any deductible expenses, they would be employee job expenses, which is in the category of deductions that is limited to the amount OVER 2% of your income (and is further reduced or eliminated if you don't otherwise itemize your deductions).  In other words, unless you have a lot of expenses, those deductions probably won't save you any money.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies