Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 1:33:41 PM

I have a book/tax difference that I believe is related to non-deductible meals and entertainment. How can I reconcile on the return?

Can I file the return with a book/tax difference?  I believe it's related to the non-deductible meals.  My books show the entire amount spent, but the return is disallowing about $1800, resulting in an overage on net income of about $1200.  Or, should I amend my books?  I'm not really sure what to do here.

0 2 2125
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 1:33:42 PM

Yes you can file with a book - tax difference.  When you have non-deductible expenses like 50% of meals it creates a permanent book- tax difference.  If your business is filing as an S-Corp, the difference is shown on Schedule M-3 - Reconciliation of Income (Loss) per Books With Income (Loss) per Return.   If your business is filing a Form 1065, that is Schedule M-1.  The difference will carry forward and be your starting point for next year's reconciliation.

2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 1:33:42 PM

Yes you can file with a book - tax difference.  When you have non-deductible expenses like 50% of meals it creates a permanent book- tax difference.  If your business is filing as an S-Corp, the difference is shown on Schedule M-3 - Reconciliation of Income (Loss) per Books With Income (Loss) per Return.   If your business is filing a Form 1065, that is Schedule M-1.  The difference will carry forward and be your starting point for next year's reconciliation.

Jun 4, 2019 1:33:44 PM

I'm using Turbo Tax and it's telling me Schedule M-1 is out of balance by -917.  Do I leave it as is or make the correction?  If it's the latter, I have no idea how to do that.  Suggestions?