Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 6:47:10 PM

HSA plans. It ask Who was paid out of the HSA. Is that me? I use my cc them transf funds over?

0 1 317
1 Best answer
Level 15
May 31, 2019 6:47:12 PM

When you use your HSA debit card to pay a medical bill, you are the one making the distribution.  It's the same as if the HSA distributed the money to you and you then used the money to pay that medical bill.

These are are totaled and reported to you on the Form 1099-SA provided to you by the HAS custodian.  You must enter the Form 1099-SA into TurboTax and indicate that amount that was used to pay qualified medical expenses, often the entire amount.  Your HSA custodian must make the Form 1099-SA available to you by the end of January.

1 Replies
Level 15
May 31, 2019 6:47:12 PM

When you use your HSA debit card to pay a medical bill, you are the one making the distribution.  It's the same as if the HSA distributed the money to you and you then used the money to pay that medical bill.

These are are totaled and reported to you on the Form 1099-SA provided to you by the HAS custodian.  You must enter the Form 1099-SA into TurboTax and indicate that amount that was used to pay qualified medical expenses, often the entire amount.  Your HSA custodian must make the Form 1099-SA available to you by the end of January.