Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 6:37:00 PM

Do I need to give my client of my house cleaning service a w9 if she has a home business office that I clean?

My client has a business she runs from her home and for the first time in the many years I've been cleaning her house she has given asked for a w9 from me.  I am not contract labor for my clients but is this different because of her home office?

0 7 4586
7 Replies
Level 9
May 31, 2019 6:37:00 PM

Yes, if you have your own cleaning business and a client wants you to fill out a W-9, you should do it.

However, I would recommend against putting your Social Security Number on it.  You can apply for a free Employer Identification Number (EIN) here:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online

Level 9
May 31, 2019 6:37:02 PM
May 31, 2019 6:37:04 PM

I'm not a contractor for her business.  Does she need one for every service person that works in her home?

Level 9
May 31, 2019 6:37:06 PM

If you are cleaning her business home office, you ARE a contractor for her business.

Yes, she would need one from anybody that performs services that affect her home office.

May 31, 2019 6:37:08 PM

thank you

Dec 13, 2019 3:22:05 AM

Our cleaning business is setup as a single member LLC with its own EIN. We clean for people with Airbnb properties, offices and some home offices as well. Would we still need to fill out a W-9?

Expert Alumni
Dec 13, 2019 5:49:37 AM

@Bonditz Yes, if you are receiving payment for providing cleaning services for AirBnb properties, home offices, etc., you should fill out a Form W9 when your customer requests it.  They will need this information to complete and file Form 1099-MISC with the IRS.

Click here for the IRS link to Form W9 and Instructions.