Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 1:05:11 PM

Can I deduct medical on my AZ taxes even though I cannot on my Federal?

0 6 2930
1 Best answer
Level 13
Jun 1, 2019 1:05:19 PM

Probably yes.

"Lines 1 through 4 - Medical and Dental Expenses

Skip lines 1 through 4 if you are not deducting medical and dental expenses.

In most cases, the deduction allowed on the Arizona return will be larger than the deduction allowed on the federal return. On your Arizona return, you do not have to reduce your medical expenses by a percentage of your federal adjusted gross income.

In most cases, you may deduct more medical expenses on your Arizona return than you can deduct on your federal return. Complete lines 1 through 4 to deduct those expenses that were less than 7.5% of your federal adjusted gross income." - Instructions for Arizona Schedule A see https://azdor.gov/file/6957/download?token=6njjTLhh

6 Replies
Jun 1, 2019 1:05:12 PM

How can I adjust the State return to make these changes?

Level 13
Jun 1, 2019 1:05:13 PM

I believe that TurboTax expects you to enter your medical expenses in the Medical part of the federal return (Federal->Deduction & Credits->Medical) even though they won't be deductible on the federal return. In the Arizona interview, you will be asked about itemized deductions (you will want to say "yes"), and then you can confirm the expenses that carried down from the federal return.

Jun 1, 2019 1:05:14 PM

Thank you.

Jun 1, 2019 1:05:16 PM

Please take me directly to the State  Medical deduction page. I can’t seem to be able to do that.

Level 13
Jun 1, 2019 1:05:17 PM

First, you should have entered your Medical expenses on your federal return. Then in the Arizona return, as you navigate through it, you will see a screen headed "Itemize Deductions". Answer "yes" to the question of "Do you want to itemize Arizona deductions?" The next screen is Medical and Dental Expenses where you can enter the net expenses.

Level 13
Jun 1, 2019 1:05:19 PM

Probably yes.

"Lines 1 through 4 - Medical and Dental Expenses

Skip lines 1 through 4 if you are not deducting medical and dental expenses.

In most cases, the deduction allowed on the Arizona return will be larger than the deduction allowed on the federal return. On your Arizona return, you do not have to reduce your medical expenses by a percentage of your federal adjusted gross income.

In most cases, you may deduct more medical expenses on your Arizona return than you can deduct on your federal return. Complete lines 1 through 4 to deduct those expenses that were less than 7.5% of your federal adjusted gross income." - Instructions for Arizona Schedule A see https://azdor.gov/file/6957/download?token=6njjTLhh