Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Jan 20, 2021 5:15:46 PM

Are we able to claim Covid-19 as a Natural Disaster if we weren't personally affected by it. FEMA list it as a disaster for my State, but I didn't suffer a loss and my income didn't change.

0 5 3028
5 Replies
Level 15
Jan 20, 2021 5:32:43 PM

COVID-19 is not a declared natural disaster......so it makes no difference whether you were affected or not.

Natural disasters (so far), have only included destruction due to  hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, floods, derechos, wildfires, etc.....get the idea?  Things that actually destroy property.

I wouldn't rule it out for some time in the future, but so far, any national and state "help" for COVID-19 problems have been handled by specific legislation, and not by a disaster declaration.

Level 1
Jan 20, 2021 5:59:30 PM

COVID is listed in incidents that qualify for a tax break. It's been declared a Mayor Disaster by FEMA listed right next to Severe Storms and Tornadoes. For my state it was declared a Major Disaster April 2, 2020.

Level 15
Jan 20, 2021 6:12:02 PM

Not sure what to say about that

.....there are certain sections in the software where I've seen it specifically lists COVID-19 if some tax break is allowed to be applied...like for avoiding the penalty for early withdrawal of retirement funds to deal with loss of income because COVID eliminated their job, or put them in the hospital.  But that is a specific interview question as a part of a 1099-R entry.   I saw one where it had you check a box if you were affected by (something like) "Natural Disaster or COVID-19" ...... so it specifically listed COVID 19 if it was appropriate.

So I guess it may depend on exactly where the natural disaster question is asked.

Level 15
Jan 20, 2021 8:40:59 PM
Mar 13, 2021 12:20:18 PM

Unfortunately it says it had to be DECLARED before February 19, 2020. I assume there will be something next year.