TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Do I need to file a New York City return for my business?

SOLVEDby TurboTax148Updated December 27, 2021

If your business is involved in New York City, you may be required to file a New York City tax return. We've outlined the basics below. If you need more detailed information go to New York City business taxes.

  • Corporations and S corporations doing business, employing capital, owning or leasing property in a corporate or organized capacity, or maintaining an office in New York City must file a General Corporation tax return, Form NYC-4S.
  • If you conduct business both inside and outside New York City and have subsidiary and/or investment capital, you'll need to file a General Corporation tax return, Form NYC-3L.
  • Starting in tax year 2009, partnerships that carry on or liquidate any trade, business, profession, or occupation wholly or partly within New York City and have a total gross income from all business regardless of where carried on of more than $95,000 (prior to any deduction for cost of goods sold or services performed) must file an Unincorporated Business tax return (Form NYC-204).

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online TurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads