Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 4:59:20 PM

Question About Residency Rules For State Tax

I live in Connecticut and I’m fully retired, but a couple of years away from collecting Social Security.  My entire income right now is a small pension and withdrawals from my IRA and Roth IRA.  I have a pretty large balance in my 401k which I haven’t touched yet.  I want to reduce my potential state income tax while I transfer my 401k money into my Roth IRA, in small enough increments to stay within the Federal 22% bracket. 

I’m moving to Florida this coming December 1st, and that will be my domicile, and believe me, I will never live in Connecticut again, even though it’s very nice and I really like it there.  I own a condo there though, and I would like to become a snowbird, spending the winter months in Florida, and the warm months in CT.  Starting next year am I correct that as long as I spend less than 183 days in Connecticut, and my entire income is pension, Social Security, and IRA/401k withdrawals that I would not owe any CT income tax and in fact I would not even have to file a CT tax return?  I’m not talking about any trickery here; I would be in Florida 7 months of the year, and no more than 5 in Connecticut. I would change my license, car registration, and voter registration to Florida.  I would intend to make Florida my permanent home.

I would love to hear a definitive answer here if I understand these residency rules correctly.

0 2 662
1 Best answer
Level 1
Jun 3, 2019 4:59:21 PM

You are correct.

If you spend less than 183 days in Connecticut, you are considered a non-resident. Therefore, your pension income, IRA withdrawals, etc, would not be subject to CT income tax. 

Source: http://askdrs.ct.gov/Scripts/drsrightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=584&p_topview=1

Enjoy your retirement in Florida!

2 Replies
Level 1
Jun 3, 2019 4:59:21 PM

You are correct.

If you spend less than 183 days in Connecticut, you are considered a non-resident. Therefore, your pension income, IRA withdrawals, etc, would not be subject to CT income tax. 

Source: http://askdrs.ct.gov/Scripts/drsrightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=584&p_topview=1

Enjoy your retirement in Florida!

Jun 3, 2019 4:59:23 PM

Thank you for the confirmation and the citation.