Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 11:04:20 PM

I work in NJ and live in PA. Do I need to file both state returns?

0 3 4226
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 11:04:21 PM

No. Just PA.

New Jersey and Pennsylvania have reciprocity. So, you should only have had taxes withheld for the state of Pennsylvania. You may have had some employment taxes withheld by NJ (unemployment, family leave), but you should not have had NJ income taxes taken out.

You would not file a New Jersey tax return in your situation. You would only file one if you had NJ taxes withheld in error, or if you had NJ income not covered by reciprocity, such as a rental property or a small business.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 11:04:21 PM

No. Just PA.

New Jersey and Pennsylvania have reciprocity. So, you should only have had taxes withheld for the state of Pennsylvania. You may have had some employment taxes withheld by NJ (unemployment, family leave), but you should not have had NJ income taxes taken out.

You would not file a New Jersey tax return in your situation. You would only file one if you had NJ taxes withheld in error, or if you had NJ income not covered by reciprocity, such as a rental property or a small business.

Level 1
Jan 24, 2020 7:06:17 AM

I’m in the same situation but received 2 W2s, one for NJ and one for PA

Level 15
Jan 24, 2020 8:15:40 AM

@Kfeeney1025 --  If you lived in PA all year, your employer should not have withheld NJ taxes from your W-2 income.   Your entire income is taxable by PA

In order to obtain a refund of the incorrectly withheld NJ taxes, you'll have to file a non-resident NJ return, showing zero NJ income.

And if you haven't done so already, submit New Jersey Form NJ-165 to your NJ employer.  Here's a link to that form:  https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/nj165.pdf