Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 8:40:44 AM

I moved to California from the UK in June and noticed that reporting foreign source income decreases CA tax refund.

I received UK income only when I lived there before June 2017 and received US income only after I moved to the US in June 2017.

Why does my UK income affect my CA tax refund?

0 3 557
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 8:40:46 AM

If you only started your CA state residency in June of 2017 after moving here from the UK, you will file a part-year CA state income tax return to report only the income that was received during your part-year residency in CA. Any income received before the start of your CA state residency date will not be included on your part-year CA return (even if you are considered a full year resident for federal income tax purposes).

3 Replies

If you only started your CA state residency in June of 2017 after moving here from the UK, you will file a part-year CA state income tax return to report only the income that was received during your part-year residency in CA. Any income received before the start of your CA state residency date will not be included on your part-year CA return (even if you are considered a full year resident for federal income tax purposes).

Thanks! Does it mean I don't need to enter any non resident foreign income for CA tax return?

Jun 6, 2019 8:40:49 AM

Yes - that is correct.