Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Mar 13, 2021 12:42:28 PM

I E filed my federal taxes. Went back to file my State and it won't let me. Says go back and select Fed. It is already gone, but marked.

1 29 1987
24 Replies
Level 15
Mar 13, 2021 12:44:35 PM
Level 1
Mar 13, 2021 1:11:19 PM

I need this function to be fixed ASAP as I cant submit my state returns. I sent the Federal return via e-file and then decided several hours later to file my 2 state electronically. The system continues to say you need to file the federal tax first which was done 2 hours prior. Help.

Level 1
Mar 13, 2021 6:01:11 PM

Same question, can't file as I already transmitted federal

Level 1
Mar 13, 2021 6:29:52 PM

Same issue here. I was on the phone with a rep for 2 hours, she said you can't file one without the other?? But why give that option then. She just told me "Sorry you will need to mail in your state". Looking for help too!!

Level 1
Mar 14, 2021 11:30:17 AM

I have the same issue! I have been using turbo tax for many years now and I have always filed Federal first and then state tax after Federal was accepted. This is the first time I ever have an issue! I think it is a bug in the software. I wonder if Intuit is aware of it.

Level 15
Mar 14, 2021 11:32:28 AM

@spete wrote:

I have the same issue! I have been using turbo tax for many years now and I have always filed Federal first and then state tax after Federal was accepted. This is the first time I ever have an issue! I think it is a bug in the software. I wonder if Intuit is aware of it.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the problem and sign up for updates - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-filing-my-federal-return/01/2064566

Level 1
Mar 14, 2021 11:56:16 AM

I saw that, but it is not useful. I have no errors in the state returns according to Turbotax

Level 2
Mar 14, 2021 12:18:57 PM

I agree with you. What you and the others are experiencing is most definitely a software error!   Like this.

Obviously it knows Fed is filedYet, is asking you select Fed again.

Level 2
Mar 14, 2021 2:12:19 PM

I have the same issue.  Going back and re-running the Review (as the linked solution suggests) did not solve this problem.  I've been able to e-file the state return after e-filing the federal return in past years.  TurboTax needs to fix this.

Mar 14, 2021 2:22:12 PM

Same issue. Have never had this happen before and I usually file federal first and decide whether go back to e- file states later. It appears now my only option is paper??

Mar 14, 2021 2:22:43 PM

I'm having the same problem.  Like many others, I too have in the past e-filed my federal taxes first and then returned to TurboTax some time later to e-file my state tax return with no problem.  Now, I'm caught in this loop of being told I must go "Back" and select the federal return as well when my federal return has already been sent and accepted by the IRS.  What is Intuit doing to fix this problem?  I want to file my state taxes today.

Mar 14, 2021 2:34:05 PM

Same issue here, no errors, final review is clean, federal return is accepted but cannot file the State return for the exact same error as shown above, message from TurboTax "E-file requires federal return" but Federal return cannot be selected as it already has been transmitted and accepted.

Mar 14, 2021 2:39:03 PM

I am also having the same issue.  It looks like several people are having the same problem

Mar 14, 2021 2:49:06 PM

I agree with everyone and am in the same boat : never a problem in past years.  Why give the option if it won't actually work !!  Please fix this and help us all.   I am also not able to amend a submitted return - why not ?  I've never experienced trouble with Turbo Tax before and I've used it for years - I hope these issues are fixed quickly and completely so that I won't have to go to another service next year. 

Level 15
Mar 14, 2021 2:52:02 PM

Hopefully, everyone on this thread is signing up to be notified for updates to increase the failure count and get TT to fix this issue - See this TurboTax support FAQ for the problem and sign up for updates - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

Returning Member
Mar 14, 2021 3:12:58 PM

I have the same problem and I am mad. I was just updated  by Turbo, so that is not it. Every year there is a glitch and I say its my last year and this year will be it.

Mail the state in and save $25. That seems to be the solution.

Level 1
Mar 14, 2021 3:22:54 PM

I am having the same problem.  Spent an hour this morning screen-sharing with TT support.  Said try again Monday and call back if it still doesn't work.  They had no idea what to do.

Level 15
Mar 14, 2021 3:23:58 PM
Level 1
Mar 14, 2021 3:57:56 PM

Is Turbotax going to fix the problem?  Its mid-March already and they are not responsive.

Level 2
Mar 14, 2021 4:19:39 PM

Same here. No errors in Federal tax return, yet Turbotax keep coming back that I need to file federal to file State even though Federal has been filed.

Level 2
Mar 14, 2021 6:35:38 PM

Yes, this is exactly my situation too. I am not entirely sure I’d Federal has really been filed. Typically I used to receive a confirmation email that Federal has been filed and then an acceptance email the next day.

I have not seen a confirmation email for transmittal email of the Federal e-file yet 3 hours later which is a bit suspicious.

What a screwup...Is there a way to escalate this?

Level 2
Mar 15, 2021 6:26:09 AM

I talked with a CSR today and they confirmed that my Federal tax return actually didn't went through, even though the software states it did.

I need to go back to this when i have access to my Turbotax (currently at work) for screensharing and hopefully a workaround. if none, I will just paper file both Federal and State as the CSR stated I may have to delete my tax return worst case and start from scratch LOL.

In any case, just be careful out there and don't assume your Federal return went through just because the software states so. If there is no confirmation email, it probably didn't.

Level 1
Mar 15, 2021 6:56:26 AM

I did receive a confirmation email from Turbotax that states "Your federal tax return was accepted by the IRS."  And TT won't let me file a state return.

Are you saying this is not correct?  

Level 15
Mar 15, 2021 7:01:28 AM

@sulubat wrote:

I did receive a confirmation email from Turbotax that states "Your federal tax return was accepted by the IRS."  And TT won't let me file a state return.

Are you saying this is not correct?  

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the problem and sign up for updates - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...