Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 18, 2022 1:23:58 PM

I am exempt from paying federal Income tax on my USPS salary? I am a bonafide resident of Puerto Rico and pay Taxes on my USPS Salary on the Puerto Rico Tax return.

I live and work in Puerto Rico

0 3 314
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 18, 2022 1:39:46 PM

You need to file a Puerto Rico return, which is not supported in TurboTax.  Please see this website:  Departamento de Hacienda de Puerto Rico

Apr 18, 2022 1:53:22 PM

Thanks for the time and answer. I do file the Puerto Rico Tax return, but I need to file the US tax return to get back the amount retained from my paycheck towards income tax. Thats the part I need more info. (what to select) in the turbo tax return.

Level 15
Apr 18, 2022 2:03:52 PM

Some Puerto Rico residents pay U.S. federal income taxes. Residents falling within the following categories must pay tax on their income to the United States federal government, via the Internal Revenue Service:

Puerto Rico residents who:

• work for the federal government such as US Post Office employees, and federal agents of any of the federal executive and judicial branches located in Puerto Rico

Reference:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Puerto_Rico#:~:text=Puerto%20Rico%20is%20an%20unincorporated,to%20pay%20federal%20income%20taxes.