Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 4:44:05 PM

Hi I lived in New Jersey from January 1 2018 to September 1 2018 and made 64000 then i moved to New York and lived there from september 1 2018 to now i made 38000

hi I lived in New Jersey from January 1 2018 to September 1 2018 and made 64000 then i moved to New York and lived there from september 1 2018 to now i made 38000 and paid 1700 in taxes but it says i owe New York 7 dollars and it keep say my taxible income in NY is 89000 im confused 

0 1 269
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 4:44:06 PM

It depends.  If you worked in New York all year they would be taxing all of your income, first as a nonresident and then as a resident.  (If you worked in NJ all year, the situation is the exact opposite).  However if you moved both physically and professionally to New York, then New York does not tax all of your income.  They do use all of your income, however, to determine your NY part-year resident tax.

In your situation, New York pretends that all 102000 is taxable in New York, calculates out how much taxable income you would have in New York on that income (your eligible deductions takes the amount down to $89000 of taxable income), and figures out the tax on that amount.  Then the tax is prorated to the amount of income you earned in NY.  (tax on $89,000, multiplied by 39,000 and divided by 102,000, which was the total gross income earned).  Once prorated, the result is subtracted from the amount of NY tax that was withheld.  $7 sounds like a very possible number in your case.

But NY is not taxing the income you earned in NJ while you were living there.  It does use all of your income, however, to determine how much tax you must pay to NY. 

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 4:44:06 PM

It depends.  If you worked in New York all year they would be taxing all of your income, first as a nonresident and then as a resident.  (If you worked in NJ all year, the situation is the exact opposite).  However if you moved both physically and professionally to New York, then New York does not tax all of your income.  They do use all of your income, however, to determine your NY part-year resident tax.

In your situation, New York pretends that all 102000 is taxable in New York, calculates out how much taxable income you would have in New York on that income (your eligible deductions takes the amount down to $89000 of taxable income), and figures out the tax on that amount.  Then the tax is prorated to the amount of income you earned in NY.  (tax on $89,000, multiplied by 39,000 and divided by 102,000, which was the total gross income earned).  Once prorated, the result is subtracted from the amount of NY tax that was withheld.  $7 sounds like a very possible number in your case.

But NY is not taxing the income you earned in NJ while you were living there.  It does use all of your income, however, to determine how much tax you must pay to NY.