Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Mar 28, 2020 8:22:47 PM

Declaration to E-file Your State (NY)

In the 'I have read the certification above and agree' section, 

I can check the Spouse checkbox but not the Taxpayer checkbox.

Please advice.

Thanks.

2 26 1826
24 Replies
Mar 29, 2020 7:59:31 AM

I'm having same issue.

Level 2
Mar 29, 2020 11:53:59 AM

Having the same issue, can not declare for Taxpayer.  The check box keep disabling.

Turbo Tax team - please help!

Mar 29, 2020 1:51:19 PM

I am having the same issue. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Mar 29, 2020 1:51:52 PM

I am having the same issue Turbo Tax.  Please fix so I can file.  Thanks.

Mar 29, 2020 4:08:45 PM

I am having the same issue. Please advise/fix this bug. Thanks

Mar 29, 2020 5:21:47 PM

I'm having this issue same issue.  

Support folks please reply with resolution.  None of us filing jointly can e-file at this time.

Level 2
Mar 29, 2020 5:38:32 PM

Was on the phone with them for one hr+, no immediate resolution.  They will need to investigate but seem like a bug.... hopefully they will be able to resolve soon!

Level 1
Mar 29, 2020 5:42:16 PM

Same issue here.  Tax Payer box can't be checked (it becomes unchecked when I click Continue).

We need help from Turbo Tax support on this issue. 

Let us know how to fix or if you're pushing an update to fix this.  If so, when can we expect this update?

Thanks.

Level 2
Mar 29, 2020 6:24:18 PM

I am having the same issue...until this is fixed can't file my 2019 Federal or NY returns so I can show updated income information to the IRS for the upcoming stimulus payout.

Level 1
Mar 30, 2020 8:17:51 AM

I have the same urgency - need to get my 2019 federal return filed so the IRS has my current address and direct deposit account for the stimulus. I went back to File Return and unselected the New York e-file. Was able to e-file federal (and my other state) and will come back to New York when TurboTax fixes this silly bug. Kind of ironic that in the state where e-file is required for returns prepared in TurboTax YOU CAN'T E-FILE!

Level 2
Mar 30, 2020 9:55:11 AM

Thanks for sharing...I will try that same tactic so at least I can get my Federal return filed.

Mar 30, 2020 4:01:59 PM

Same here. It's not letting me check that box.

When I click through to the Forms view, on IT-203 it's putting my spouse's name under "Your First Name and Initial, Your Last Name" and then it's blank under "Spouse's First Name and Middle Initial, Spouse's Last Name". My name doesn't appear anywhere on that form, and normally it appears first. The form doesn't let me edit any of these fields.

My income is via self-employment, whereas my spouse has W2's, maybe that is tripping it up somehow.

Not applicable
Mar 30, 2020 5:44:47 PM

Having the same issue, called support, they had me reinstall the software, same problem now. I was able to file federal forms. They told me if issue persisted I would have to print and mail my NY return. 

Level 3
Mar 30, 2020 6:39:23 PM

I have the same issue here. I can't continue. Is it a bug in the software?

Returning Member
Mar 31, 2020 10:40:56 AM

Same issue. Very Frustrating. How can Intuit charge for a program that doesn't work for New York? Fraud

Level 2
Mar 31, 2020 12:20:04 PM

Same issue still present. 3/31/20

Mar 31, 2020 4:02:49 PM

Just spent a long time with support. Had me install a downloaded version of Turbotax which did not work. Same error. Then he had me install a downgraded version and try to download the state file, which did not download. Then he tried to tell me the problem was with my computer, maybe too many programs running or a virus. I insisted nothing else had a problem except turbotax and it was a bug. At this point I was hung up on.

Level 2
Mar 31, 2020 4:58:01 PM

I spent an hour or so. They have promised to start an investigation and get back. We will see. They had me run it on chrome instead of explorer, no change.

Level 1
Mar 31, 2020 6:25:25 PM

Two things:

• It looks like TurboTax has accepted that this is a bug and plans to have it fixed on or around 4/2/2020.
  • I found a workaround for my situation and filed my NY return. In case anyone else had the same situation, here's a quick description: My wife and I were part-year residents of NY in 2019 and she was the only one of the two of us with NY wage income, so I indicated that only she ("Spouse" on our federal return) had NY-based income. That's what I think caused the problem. So I went back and said that we both had NY income and that solved the problem! Nothing else changed, and once I worked through some odd stuff regarding 2020 estimated taxes, I was able to e-file successfully. So this could be a workaround for anyone in the same or similar situation who doesn't want to wait for the TT fix...

Not applicable
Mar 31, 2020 7:05:29 PM

Great news, I will wait and hope for the Fix. I had printed my return to mail, but of course NY does not want to accept mailed returns if you calculated electronically. You are probably onto something with only 1 NY source income as I have the same problem as a non-resident and my spouse has NY income. I am not willing to say I have NY income just to file.

Thanks

Level 2
Apr 1, 2020 8:50:51 AM

My situation is similar, if I notice it is fixed will post here.

Apr 1, 2020 12:22:41 PM

sconverse, thanks for the workaround. I will wait a while longer for the bug to be fixed. What I found aggravating was that the support person I spoke with refused to answer when I asked if Intuit was aware of and working on the problem. He made me spend a couple of hours installing and reinstalling different things. At one point he wanted me to pay for a state download with the deluxe version even though I am using the home & business which includes free state. He claimed I would able to call and request a refund but I refused to pay again.

Apr 1, 2020 12:46:37 PM

Just got off the phone with Jace from TTax Support  He confirmed it is a known bug/issue.  The investigation # is INV-7040.  He confirmed it has a target date for resolution of 04/02/2020, most likely late in the day.  I'll post again if/when I can confirm this issue is fixed.

Apr 1, 2020 5:46:07 PM

I cant get 6 digit so I can sign and file