Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Sep 17, 2020 8:40:17 AM

Non- US resident who earns a U.S based income via Twitch

Hey there. I am a Jamaican citizen who pays taxes in the US via being a Twitch Affiliate. Upon achieving the Twitch Affiliate status which allows me to earn a US income, I was given a w-8 form to fill out by twitch. After filling out this form using my country of residence information as well as my home country's TIN number, as I am not in the position to get a SSN or US TIN, i realized that the US has a treaty (which saves me from being double taxed on earning) with my home country where there is a 10% withholding on earnings I have been receiving with also paying other US taxes via my earnings from Twitch. 

My question is, since i am not a US resident and neither do i reside in the US, is there any medium for me to apply for tax refunds/ returns from the US?  if not, would it be necessary for me to apply for a US ITIN to apply for any tax refunds/returns? 

Additionally is there another tax form i should fill out now if i should travel to the US for tourism purposes while i continue to earn money via streaming on Twitch?

0 167
0 Replies