Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 4:05:48 PM

Where do i report taxes and penalties from a non qualified early Roth distribution I took in 2018? These amounts are not showing in my 1099 R. I want to go ahead and pay.

0 1 166
1 Best answer
Jun 1, 2019 4:05:50 PM

The program computes the tax and penalty once you enter the amounts in Box 1 and 2 and then the code from Box 7.

If this withdrawal was just from your contributions, there will be no tax or penalty assessed on your withdrawal. Any contributions withdrawn from a Roth are always tax/penalty free.

If you do have a "growth" portion to pay tax and penalty on, it will be added into your tax return and will either increase your overall liability or lessen your refund.

1 Replies
Jun 1, 2019 4:05:50 PM

The program computes the tax and penalty once you enter the amounts in Box 1 and 2 and then the code from Box 7.

If this withdrawal was just from your contributions, there will be no tax or penalty assessed on your withdrawal. Any contributions withdrawn from a Roth are always tax/penalty free.

If you do have a "growth" portion to pay tax and penalty on, it will be added into your tax return and will either increase your overall liability or lessen your refund.