Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:55:37 AM

Should I be able to deduct public retirement & pension on Michigan tax return if the primary taxpayer was born before 1946?

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/taxes/2018RetirementPensionBenefitsChart_644900_7.pdf

I should be able to deduct the entire amount per the State of Michigan Treasury web site.

0 1 529
1 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 12:55:38 AM

Based on the instructions from the SOS website, both public and private pensions are eligible for a "subtraction" if one or both of the taxpayers were born before 1946.  Instructions are on page 17 of the Michigan Tax Instruction booklet - there is a section called "which sections do I complete" - see option 3 regarding taxpayers born prior to 1946.  There is also a scenario #4 which gives a step-by-step for a situation where one spouse is older than the other and both public and private pensions are involved.   You will need form  4884 which includes a section to identify the pension income and their sources. Then complete section "A". Unfortunately, TurboTax does not have this totally correct in their programming - they do not allow reporting private pensions. I had to do the form manually, print the return and send it in by mail.