Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 5:53:23 PM

I received a distribution from a trust . I received a K-!, form 1041 as the trust beneficiary. Where do I report a nondividend distribution that is a return of capital?

0 4 1114
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 5:53:26 PM

"Where do I report a nondividend distribution that is a return of capital?"

That figure does not get entered anywhere on your income tax return since it is a return of capital from an investment, such as a stock, bond, or a fund.

You would ordinarily keep track of this figure because it will reduce your cost basis when the investment is sold but, in this instance, the trust will (or should) be keeping track of the basis since the trust owns the investment vehicle.

4 Replies
Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 5:53:26 PM

"Where do I report a nondividend distribution that is a return of capital?"

That figure does not get entered anywhere on your income tax return since it is a return of capital from an investment, such as a stock, bond, or a fund.

You would ordinarily keep track of this figure because it will reduce your cost basis when the investment is sold but, in this instance, the trust will (or should) be keeping track of the basis since the trust owns the investment vehicle.

Jun 4, 2019 5:53:27 PM

Thank you! I like this answer!

Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 5:53:30 PM

You are most welcome.

Returning Member
Mar 28, 2022 2:27:11 PM

tagteam is exactly correct. I have spoken with my trust officer who told me not to worry about the basis [i.e. return of capital], because they are tracking and will report when the trust ends.