Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 4:26:51 PM

I have mailed in my 1040 federal. I failed to include one of my 1099-R forms. What do I do now?

The information from this 1099-R is included in my filing  calculations.  I just failed to staple this particular 1099-R  to the federal return.  Is it OK to send this in a separate envelope as an addendum?

0 1 231
1 Best answer
Jun 3, 2019 4:26:54 PM

You can, making sure to keep a copy for yourself.  However, the IRS already have a copy of this document from the service that gave it to you.  My recommendation is to do nothing, wait to be contacted by the IRS.  If the form is needed it will be requested and you would have a direct address to send it to.  If you send it in alone, it may not get applied to your return.

1 Replies
Jun 3, 2019 4:26:54 PM

You can, making sure to keep a copy for yourself.  However, the IRS already have a copy of this document from the service that gave it to you.  My recommendation is to do nothing, wait to be contacted by the IRS.  If the form is needed it will be requested and you would have a direct address to send it to.  If you send it in alone, it may not get applied to your return.