Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 14, 2021 2:08:43 PM

Employer Zip Code for a retired person

I am retired so I don't have an employer. I receive my pension from my previous employer's pension plan.  Can I just ignore this? It comes up when I run the check at the end.

0 4 258
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Feb 14, 2021 2:50:07 PM

If you are retired and must enter an "Employer Zip Code" to get through a review, enter the zip code of the pension plan administrator - the payer listed on your Form 1099-R. 

(Not sure why or where this coming up, but neither TX or FL have a state income tax, so it couldn't affect your taxes any case).

4 Replies
Level 1
Feb 14, 2021 2:29:56 PM

You shouldn't ignore the question. It's being asked to determine the state where the employer is located. It could affect taxation of your pension on the state level

Level 1
Feb 14, 2021 2:34:05 PM

I am retired, no longer employed. My previous employer is based in TX and I live in FL. No State sales tax in either.

Expert Alumni
Feb 14, 2021 2:50:07 PM

If you are retired and must enter an "Employer Zip Code" to get through a review, enter the zip code of the pension plan administrator - the payer listed on your Form 1099-R. 

(Not sure why or where this coming up, but neither TX or FL have a state income tax, so it couldn't affect your taxes any case).

Level 1
Feb 14, 2021 3:08:35 PM

That makes the most sense. It was going to be my default.