Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 10:50:13 AM

Accidentally flagged myself as having a retirement savings account, cannot change back

While filing I accidentally said that I have a retirement savings account,  which is worth a $25 credit if I keep it but would require that I upgrade to deluxe and ultimately cost me more. When I try to change my answer to no, it just sends me back to the deductions screen with the credit still active. Is there any way that I could choose not to claim this credit and file free?

0 2 528
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 1, 2019 10:50:14 AM

To remove the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit and the need to upgrade, in the Retirement Savings Contributions section tell TurboTax that you were a full-time student.  This will cause TurboTax to remove Form 8880 and have no other effect on your tax return.

2 Replies
Level 15
Jun 1, 2019 10:50:14 AM

To remove the Retirement Savings Contributions Credit and the need to upgrade, in the Retirement Savings Contributions section tell TurboTax that you were a full-time student.  This will cause TurboTax to remove Form 8880 and have no other effect on your tax return.

Jun 1, 2019 10:50:16 AM

I had th the same thing happened to me. I tried to change my answer but could not. I was forced to upgrade that changed my filing from free to paying 49. 95. I think this is something turbo is doing to change the free filing and force you to pay, if you want to file. I may change who I file with next year.