This rejection occurs when the name or Social Security number for the qualifying child is either incorrect or doesn't match what's on file with the IRS.
Get your children's Social Security cards and then follow these steps to make sure their information was entered correctly:
- Open your return in TurboTax, and then select My Info.
- Continue until you reach the Personal info summary screen.
- Click Edit next to the dependent you need to update information for (you may need to scroll down).
- Proceed through the interview, making sure that the child's Name and Social Security number matches the information on their Social Security card exactly.
- If the information is wrong, correct it.
- Continue until you're at Your children and others you support. Repeat Steps 3-6 for any additional children.
Once finished, select Done and then e-file your return again.
Otherwise, if you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches your children's Social Security cards, you will need to file a paper return. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you further with this rejection error, as the problem lies with government agencies' data that we have no control over.
After mailing your return, we suggest you call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.