Go to West Virginia's My Taxes site and select Where's My Refund? in the yellow bar at the top of the page.
For refund-related questions, select Contact Us in the same yellow bar.
- An e-filed return may take as long as 7–8 weeks after the acknowledgement is received from the state.
- A paper filed return may take as long as 10–11 weeks after the return is received by the West Virginia State Tax Department.
- First-time filers should allow about 3 additional weeks to the timelines above.
- Requests for more information will delay refunds until the requested information is received. Allow approximately 6 weeks from the receipt of the requested information to review and complete the processing of the return.
- Refund timeframes are general and do not apply to every refund. It is best not to depend on getting a refund by a certain date, especially when making purchases or paying bills.
- Some refunds may ultimately be reduced or result in a balance of tax due depending on the supporting information supplied or on record with the West Virginia State Tax Department.
- Many refunds will be paid in a shorter time frame, but it is not abnormal to wait a significant time period if for any reason the return requires additional review.