Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 12, 2022 5:56:50 PM

Where do I report a sale of a rental property? I'm following the instructions and do not see a place to enter the capital gains. Do I need a specific version f TurboTax?

0 1 137
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 12, 2022 6:23:21 PM

You may use TurboTax Premier Online to enter the sale of your rental property.  Follow these steps to enter the sale.

1. With your return open in TurboTax, search for rentals and then select the Jump to link in the search result.
  2. Answer Yes to the question Did you have any income from rentals or royalties?
  3. When you get to What are you here to report? select Rental property and fill out the description, address, and owner.
  4. When you hit Tell us about your situation this year check the Sold box along with any other boxes that may apply.
  5. Continue following the onscreen prompts to enter info about your rental property. Eventually, you'll get to the Review your rental property info screen. You can report the sale in the Expenses/Assets (Depreciation) section, along with any other pertinent info (like income and expenses)

You do not enter the capital gains directly, TurboTax will automatically calculate your capital gain or loss on the sale using the information you have provided.