Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 5, 2019 11:38:53 PM

What is my Arkansas short-term capital loss carryover amount?

I don't think I have one. Can I put $0?

0 3 6718
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 5, 2019 11:38:55 PM

If you have a federal capital loss carryover then you probably have an Arkansas capital loss carryover as well. This would be from your 2015 tax return

If you don't have one, don't enter a zero, leave the box blank. Entering zeroes when you aren't specifically instructed to enter zero can cause errors that prevent you from e-filing.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 5, 2019 11:38:55 PM

If you have a federal capital loss carryover then you probably have an Arkansas capital loss carryover as well. This would be from your 2015 tax return

If you don't have one, don't enter a zero, leave the box blank. Entering zeroes when you aren't specifically instructed to enter zero can cause errors that prevent you from e-filing.

Mar 23, 2020 12:03:05 AM

If I leave my Arkansas Short-Term Capital Loss Carryover section blank don't I eventually have to fill it out? I have never done this on my own and it is only my second year filling out taxes. My dad passed away this year and he helped me last year. I just need some help.

Expert Alumni
Mar 23, 2020 8:04:43 AM

@CarolynM

If this is only your second year filing taxes, it's not likely that you'll have a carryover such as this. 

A Short-Term Capital Loss Carryover represents a loss on a short term investment from a previous year, for which the entire loss couldn't be claimed in that year.

It most likely doesn't apply to you, and if that's the case, just leave the field blank.