Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Mar 7, 2020 10:34:43 AM

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Anyone else have an issue with importing 1099-INT from Chase Bank?

Seems to be a new problem this year.  But every time I try to import my 1099-INT from Chase bank, I get an import not successful.  In past years, it has been no problem.

Anyone else having this issue?

6 120 8268
24 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 7, 2020 11:53:20 AM

You can securely import your 1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or 1099-R into TurboTax, provided your broker or financial institution participates in our TurboTax Partner program.

When you get to the place in TurboTax where we ask if you received that form, answer Yes and we'll give you the option to import.  You can also jump straight to the section for your specific 1099 form. Here's how:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return. 
  2. Search for 1099-B and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Follow the screens and you’ll be able to import your form.

Tip: Be sure to select the right financial institution or brokerage from the list. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the wrong First National Bank, you won't be able to import.

Level 3
Mar 7, 2020 1:58:44 PM

First, it is using the PC program.. not online.

Secondly, being a long time user, I understand and know how to import my bank information.   Chase is and has been a long time participant with TurboTax, yet this year there is a problem with importing.  

I appreciate your trying to help, but your response does not address the issue, which is a problem with TT and importing.. others online have reported the issue as well with other banks.

Employee Tax Expert
Mar 10, 2020 7:17:56 PM

Please try importing your information again.  We have been informed that the issue has been resolved now.

We apologize for the inconvenience!

Level 3
Mar 10, 2020 8:57:59 PM

As far as I can tell it has not been resolved.  Unless you have more specific information regarding the resolution or when it is supposed to occur.  I was told 3 days ago that it was supposed to be resolved on 03/09/2020 (Monday), but that didn't happen either.  

1099-Int (bank account interest information) will still not import using Chase Bank as an option.  I get the same error, "unable to import"

Chase Investment 1099-DIV will import, however it imported previously and was not an issue.  However, the link provided for getting the identification code for Chase Investments is an old Chase webpage that they no longer use.  Chase sometime last year changed there webpage and web link.  

I will try again tomorrow.

Level 3
Mar 11, 2020 11:51:26 AM

I can report today that this has not been fixed.   I still cannot import 1099-INT from Chase.  I can verify that Chase is logging the attempt to access via turbotax when I check online.  Please report that this issue is not fixed. 

Level 15
Mar 11, 2020 11:56:08 AM

A 1099 INT?  You could have manually entered it by now without the stress.

It is just as fast and easy to manually enter it.  When you enter a 1099Int or 1099Div the first screen is How to Enter, by Import or Enter it Myself. Scroll down and click the last circle to enter it myself.

Level 3
Mar 11, 2020 12:08:59 PM

Yes I am aware of that for 1099-INT as I have used this program for over 10 years.

However, it is indicative that there is an issue with importing with TurboTax.  Especially when TurboTax is still accessing an obsolete Chase webpage for importing the 1099-DIV (investment) information, in order to import that and importing not working at all for 1099-INT.

I am trying to get this fixed for me and others, which is why I am trying to report it as a problem, not because I am stressed that I can't enter it.  I would be stressed if my 40 page 1099-DIV failed to import, which I bet will happen next year, if they don't fix the issue with Chase.

Apr 9, 2020 12:55:27 PM

I'm having the same issue. What's the solution? I don't want to manually type in over 100 pages of information.

Expert Alumni
Apr 9, 2020 1:06:36 PM

Make sure you're selecting the correct partner in TurboTax. Some institutions have similar-sounding names but are in fact separate entities. For example, J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, J.P. Morgan Funds, J.P. Morgan Private Bank, and J.P. Morgan Securities are all listed as TurboTax partners, and if you choose the wrong J.P. Morgan, you won't be able to import.

Level 1
Apr 24, 2020 12:29:29 PM

I am having this issue as well.  So its March 24 and Intuit has still not fixed this, is that correct?

Level 3
Apr 24, 2020 12:33:06 PM

As far as I am aware as of 4/24/2020, Intuit has not fixed this issue.

Level 15
Apr 24, 2020 12:34:06 PM

@jmchome wrote:

I am having this issue as well.  So its March 24 and Intuit has still not fixed this, is that correct?

Obviously you meant to type "April 24" above and not March 24.

Speak to TurboTax Support so they can troubleshoot with you.

Support hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern), Mon-Fri

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Level 3
Apr 24, 2020 12:35:56 PM

Again, I am aware of all that... that is not the issue...I understand you have to choose Chase Investments, for 1099-DIV and Chase Bank for 1099-INT... the issue is described in detail above.

Level 3
Apr 24, 2020 12:37:24 PM

Unfortunately, Intuit was of no help.. I ended up giving up and putting it in manually.. a pain I know..but maybe if others keep complaining...they will fix it eventually.

Level 1
May 2, 2020 11:14:30 AM

Same here (05/02/2020). Not even sure if I should use Chase Bank or Chase Investment. I am using the turbotax software installed on my mac.

Returning Member
Jun 2, 2020 2:05:25 PM

Today is Jun 2rd, 2020 -- I am having a similar problem with 1099 importing program using Turbotax online (on Chrome)

Apparently the program recognized my Banks/brokerage firms, in this case, it is Bank of America and Merrill Lynch. I say so because it asked for my password, asked me to check "I am not a robot", showed me a summary of items to be imported (together with the amount of each).

However, after the summary page, when the real import is supposed to start, the page just hangs. Basically the page shows a spinning loop for 10+ minutes until I got a warning about my session about to expire.

What's more: I tried to reload the import page a couple of times. It was a terrible idea -- now my income section is still correct but the tax owed amount just got multiplied many times.

This is terrible user experience. If I have another option, I'd be moving away from TurboTax

Level 2
Jun 9, 2020 3:14:47 PM

I have wasted so much time on trying to import this from Chase.

The very fact that this has dragged on for 2 months without working is sad.

The click to get Identification Code simply does not work.

Intuit -- I've heard great things about the company. You really need to get on top of this.

Out of the 7 odd different Chase, JP Morgan options, I've tried each of them and over several weeks. Hoping that the bug has been fixed. It has not! Sad!!!

Level 15
Jun 9, 2020 4:37:50 PM

Interest can be entered in a minute or less manually ... stop wasting time trying to import the information. 

Level 1
Jun 21, 2020 4:09:43 PM

It's not as simple as "Just enter it manually." My 1099 is 62 pages long and contains hundreds of stock trades. I can't enter this manually. Why has Intuit not resolved this issue? This has been an issue for months. Every time I click on "Get Your Identification Code" I am taken to my JP Morgan Chase account where I'm asked to log in. I do so and then I'm simply in my account. There are no further prompts for an identification code. Intuit/Turbo Tax, please address this issue now.

Expert Alumni
Jun 21, 2020 4:19:46 PM

If you are still having technical issues, you should call in and speak with someone in tech support.  They have to ability to screen share and can hopefully diagnose and solve the issue.  @27leaps.    Contact TurboTax.    

You can securely import your 1099-B, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-OID, or 1099-R into TurboTax, provided your broker or financial institution participates in our TurboTax Partner program.

When you get to the place in TurboTax where we ask if you received that form, answer Yes and we'll give you the option to import.

You can also jump straight to the section for your specific 1099 form. Here's how:

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return. 
  2. Search for 1099-B and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Follow the screens and you’ll be able to import your form.

Tip: Be sure to select the right financial institution or brokerage from the list. For example, several participating partners' names start with First National Bank and if you select the wrong First National Bank, you won't be able to import.

You can import up to 1,500 transactions from your financial institution in TurboTax Online.  

Level 2
Jun 21, 2020 6:26:38 PM

It's pretty sad, I pay for Premier, I can understand this not working from the web app, but we pay to have this functionality, and we are stuck having to manually enter data that exist digitally. Pathetic.

Level 2
Jun 21, 2020 6:27:31 PM

They should at least offer a .CSV import method.

Level 2
Jun 28, 2020 7:12:15 PM

Has this problem been solved?

I've been trying all day. Called Chase and everything. 

My 1099 is 31 pages. I'd rather import than have to type everything.

Thanks for any help.

Level 15
Jun 28, 2020 7:19:31 PM

If you use the summary option you only have to make a couple of entries ... 

How to enter a summary in lieu of individual transactions

Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category, for example "Box A short-term covered" or "Box D long-term covered". You'll enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction.

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online (if it's not already open) and search for stock sales in the upper-right corner.
  2. Click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to both Did you sell any investments? and Did you get a 1099-B?
    • If you land on Here's the investment sales info we have so far, select Add More Sales. Then answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B?
  4. On the Choose Your Bank or Brokerage import screen, select I'll type it in myself.
  5. Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.
  6. On the following screen (Tell us about...) select the second option, I'll enter a summary.
  7. On the same screen, enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Done.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter additional sales or to view a summary.

When you are done entering all your sales transactions, you'll eventually come to the Here's the investment sales info we have so far screen. Here you can edit, delete, or enter more sales.