Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:20:35 PM

Can I deduct stock losses if I am self-employed?

I submitted a loss of $5,000 from stock trading, however it did not change the amount I owed before submitting it because I am self employed. Anyway I can change this so it can effect my deduction please?

Thanks!

0 2 1022
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:20:37 PM

Sorry.  It can only reduce your taxable income to zero so you don't owe any regular income tax.
But you will still owe self employment tax on a Net Profit on Schedule C.

Also, If you have a net loss for the year you can only deduct 3,000 (1,500 MFS) max on your tax return.  The rest you have to carryover to next year.  You have to report the carryover every year until it's used up.  You can't skip a year.  

2 Replies
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:20:37 PM

Sorry.  It can only reduce your taxable income to zero so you don't owe any regular income tax.
But you will still owe self employment tax on a Net Profit on Schedule C.

Also, If you have a net loss for the year you can only deduct 3,000 (1,500 MFS) max on your tax return.  The rest you have to carryover to next year.  You have to report the carryover every year until it's used up.  You can't skip a year.  

Not applicable
Jun 7, 2019 3:20:40 PM

hopefully, you did not put it on schedule C.  stock transactions are reported on form 8949 and carried to schedule D.  the allowable loss on schedule D is carried to schedule 1 line 13