KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

After you file

Many people are experiencing refund delays. To find out why your tax refund is delayed, login to your account at the IRS to look for an explanation. The reason for the delay will depend on your circumstances. For more information, see: When will I get my IRS tax refund?

To reach the IRS: 

To verify that the return has been e-filed,

For more information, see: My return is accepted but still not approved. Is there a problem? Should I be worried?

Why do some refunds take longer than others?

Some reasons for tax refund delays for the 2020 tax year:

1. The IRS began receiving returns two weeks later than usual.
  2. The 2020 tax rules changed March 11, 2021.
    1. Any returns filed before this had to be recalculated by the IRS, adding an automatic 10 weeks in most cases to the processing.
  3. The IRS is short-staffed with large numbers of workers still working virtually due to the pandemic while being tasked with issuing three sets of checks while processing people's returns.
  4. Each set of checks to all eligible persons has different rules.
  5. There have been some persons experiencing lost, stolen, destroyed or not received payments that must be helped. 
  6. There are additional checks that are expected to be sent from the American Rescue Plan legislation that will impact the 2021 return.
  7. The states have not chosen to cooperate 100% with the federal rules and did not pass legislation immediately in response to the retroactive changes. 

TurboTax has updated everything and provides a 100% accuracy guarantee. The very complex federal and state tax laws are verified before release so that customers can have full assurance and trust in their tax return filings.

TurboTax Live allows unlimited access to credentialed experts with decades of experience where local experts would charge in 6-10 minute increments to answer questions.

@regandw2016

@6546541651156