Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Mar 20, 2020 12:36:17 PM

Form 8615 Error - Filing Rejected

My daughters return has been rejected multiple times for Form 8615 issues.  Turbo Tax says it will walk you through fixing it (never does), but I reenter/verify the information on the "interview" and have refiled to be rejected again.

Can someone help explain the issue?

Did the March 20, 2020 update fix this?

Thanks.

0 43 8673
2 Best answers
Expert Alumni
Mar 20, 2020 3:18:12 PM

The last resort will be removing the form and re-enter the information again. 

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, Select Tax Tools/drop-down menu
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose to Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 8615 and Continue with My Return to proceed

To re-enter:

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "kiddie tax" and Enter
  • Select Jump to kiddie tax
  • Follow prompts

@KR3W

Level 3
Mar 20, 2020 3:43:21 PM

Appreciate you trying to help.

I have deleted the form, reentered the same information, ran error check, and now filed.

Hopefully they accept it, if not I am at a complete loss on what the issue is.

Edit - After deleting and reentering as suggested below, I refiled.   30 minutes later the return was accepted.    

TurboTax really had an issue on this one with bad questions ask for information from the wrong lines, lack of clarity (leave blank vs no negative numbers).  

24 Replies
Level 2
Mar 20, 2020 1:15:24 PM

I have the same issue.  Updated software to 3/20/2020, but same result (rejected again).

Anyone from Intuit listening????

Level 3
Mar 20, 2020 2:00:53 PM

Adding:

My son's return had no issues (strange).

My daughter is now getting calls saying that possibly someone stole her identity.

Expert Alumni
Mar 20, 2020 2:39:57 PM

You will need to go back through your Form 8615 for the update to make the corrections. The update is available but will not update the form unless you access the form.

Level 3
Mar 20, 2020 2:47:47 PM

What needs to be updated?   They say there is an error, but do not mention what the error is.   

This form was messed up from the beginning by TT by asking for information from the wrong lines.

Edit to add:   When I run error check, it says there is nothing wrong (same as before)... Where is the error that is causing the problem? 

Thanks for the help.

Level 1
Mar 20, 2020 2:57:02 PM

I went back through the whole form and answered all the questions again, as you suggested, and still got the same rejected result.  It needs to be fixed!

Mar 20, 2020 3:16:52 PM

Thank you for your post!  I am having the same problem with my son's return - keeps rejecting for calculations on form 8615.  

Turbo tax help!!

Expert Alumni
Mar 20, 2020 3:18:12 PM

The last resort will be removing the form and re-enter the information again. 

In TurboTax online,

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • To your left, Select Tax Tools/drop-down menu
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose to Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 8615 and Continue with My Return to proceed

To re-enter:

• At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "kiddie tax" and Enter
  • Select Jump to kiddie tax
  • Follow prompts

@KR3W

Level 3
Mar 20, 2020 3:43:21 PM

Appreciate you trying to help.

I have deleted the form, reentered the same information, ran error check, and now filed.

Hopefully they accept it, if not I am at a complete loss on what the issue is.

Edit - After deleting and reentering as suggested below, I refiled.   30 minutes later the return was accepted.    

TurboTax really had an issue on this one with bad questions ask for information from the wrong lines, lack of clarity (leave blank vs no negative numbers).  

Level 2
Mar 20, 2020 5:37:14 PM

I'm still having issues.  Daughters' returns have been rejected twice for Form 8615. I deleted the form and I am reentering information.

When I get to the screen "Information About Other Children it asks:

Other Children's Net Capital Gain
From the other children's 8615 Worksheet, page 2, Line 5 Worksheet enter the bottom line of the line 5 worksheet (either Worksheet 1, line I; Worksheet 2, line P; or Worksheet 3, line S) as the net capital gain amount.

My worksheet only goes to Letter R??

Level 3
Mar 20, 2020 6:05:29 PM

That is another example of a typo/error (IMO) from TT.   Since all of my numbers on the worksheets were blank, I left it blank.

Not expert advise by any means...

Level 1
Mar 20, 2020 6:15:40 PM

Hi, it looks like I have the same issue with the 8615 form. 

"FDI_8615Line7Box_ErrorHold - This return was placed on hold due to calculation issues found in Form 8615."

In the TurboTax application,  it suggests to "update the 1040 product" and resubmit....

I updated TT, with the 3/20/2020 update and resubmitted taxes.  My kids returns still get rejected.  

Can someone from TT please explain what needs to be done for TurboTax (CD/Download) customers?

The suggested workaround that worked for other users looks to be written for TurboTax Online, and the step-by-step instructions don't seem applicable.   I'd appreciate some instructions or guidance for CD/Download  Thank You.           Pete.... 

Level 2
Mar 20, 2020 6:32:51 PM

It would be nice if the parents and children's returns could be linked so the information could be pulled directly from the parents to the child's return. I am reluctant to submit them again until TT fixes the errors and confirms that they are fixed. 

Expert Alumni
Mar 20, 2020 7:07:11 PM

If the rejection code was FDI_8615Line7Box a fix is coming out in about 2 weeks.

An update was loaded 03/20 to correct some of the calculations. To have the 03/20 update fix the problems you will need to go back through the Form 8915 again. After you do this try e-filing again.

Level 3
Mar 20, 2020 9:34:46 PM

Hi,

I had my kids returns rejected for that exact same error FDI_8615Line7Box_ErrorHold.  I go into Turbo tax to correct and it tells me to update the 1040 on or after 3/19.  I log in today and it did update but I haven't re efiled yet. I'm not sure what i'm to fix on the 8615 form as the numbers are correct.

I called Turbo Tax and told them I don't see where corrections were made so i'm afraid it will reject again.  They said calculations were done on the back end and that I should re efile and worse case is it will get rejected again.  Well I don't want to deal with it constantly rejecting.

Per your response below, there is an update coming in two weeks to fix this?  If so I will hold off re efiling.

Please advise as  you seem to know more than any turbo tax person I've spoken to on the phone.  🙂

Thank you.

Its been so frustrating.

Level 3
Mar 20, 2020 10:28:59 PM

See the responses on top.   I had to delete the form and reenter the information as suggested.

Level 3
Mar 21, 2020 8:11:23 AM

Thank you. I have read the above but does this work if I have downloaded from the CD? 
So there won’t be a fix in a couple of week per my error code?

Thank you!

Level 1
Mar 21, 2020 8:16:00 AM

Hello Kurt.  Thank you for your reply regarding "FDI_8615Line7Box_ErrorHold".  Based on your 2 week outlook, even with having the 3/20/20 forms update for 'calculation fixes', I decided to try deleting forms and regenerating them.  This worked for me.  The kid's federal returns were accepted.

For those using the CD/Download version of TT with the 3/20 update, this is how I did it:

1- In the "View" pull down menu (upper left), select Forms Cntl+2

2x- Delete the 8615 form(s) (Delete button at bottom of screen).  TT will regenerate the form(s)....

In my case, I had 4 forms that had "8615" somewhere in the title.

3- Delete the 1040 form

(I don't know if order of delete matters, but I choose to delete forms shown in the left window, starting from the bottom one and doing the 1040 last.)   

4 - Then I switched back to Step by step view (Cntl+1) and reprocessed the returns.  I did need to

re-enter my, (Parental) name and social security # back in on one the 8615 forms.  

Then I resubmitted, and an hour or two later, the federal form was accepted.

(I am still waiting for my state form to be accepted, but assume that will come today/tomorrow...)

Hope this helps others.   Pete...

Level 2
Mar 21, 2020 9:14:27 AM

two things I did to resolve.

1)  8615 CDCG worksheet lines 8 and 15 need to be overridden with the answer, use the options for the questions to answer them.

2) 8615 L7 Worksheet (this form does get submitted to the Gov).  Line 2, was pulling the wrong number from who knows were. Refer to form 8615 to override line two from either line 4 or 1 from 8615.

I resubmitted and it WORKED!!!!

Mar 21, 2020 8:14:28 PM

Thanks -- deleting the forms as described in another post didn't change any of the numbers for me.  I had to override the fields described here and then my return was accepted!

Level 3
Mar 21, 2020 8:34:22 PM

Hi,

How do you override the forms? As described above by previous user? It won’t allow me to make any changes manually or go through the questions again. It’s telling me to update the 1040 after March 19th and that’s been done. 
Thank you!

Level 2
Mar 22, 2020 2:13:13 PM

The suggested solution of removing the form and re-entering the information doesn't work.  There is a program error with the 8615 line 7 worksheet.  The software actually creates two different versions of the associated line 7 worksheet. One appears correct (selects the appropriate value from line 1 or line 4), the other has a value from some unknown source.  The final tax amount on line 7 of form 8615 is using the tax calculated on the worksheet with the unknown source.  Clicking on the 8615 line 7 value takes you to the worksheet that shows a completely different number.

I spent over an hour on the phone with product support.  We reinstalled the product and then they provided a link to the manual updates to ensure I have the latest software.  I was then passed to a tax professional who agreed that the value TTax is entering on one of the 8615 Line 7 worksheets (line 2) is incorrect as it doesn't match the lower of line 1 or line 4 on form 8615.

I would appreciate it if someone could get back to me with a date on when the updated software (fix) will be released.

Level 3
Mar 22, 2020 2:21:33 PM

Hi,

Did reinstalling the software not fix the problem? 
Were they able to help you fix it so it can be re efiled? I also have been on the phone with them for the past week and they haven’t been much help and they think the update that happened on 3/20 would fix it and it doesn’t. 
I am also looking for when the software update fix will happen.

Thank you.

Mar 22, 2020 2:39:03 PM

The override is done by going to the forms view, find the form you want to update, then selecting the box on that form with the value you want to change and right clicking.  That should bring up an option allowing you to enter your own value.  The value you type is then displayed in red.  At least that's how it went for me.   I hope it helps.

Level 2
Mar 23, 2020 10:29:13 AM

I applied the 3/20 update and attempted all the suggested solutions including deleting the 8615 form and associated worksheets, deleting the 1040 form, saving, restarting TTax.  I deleted the information in the step-by-step related to interest and dividends, then deleted the forms, saved and restarted.  I tried creating a completely new return, re-entered all information and had the same result.  I removed TTax (uninstall from PC) and reinstalled from disc.  Worked with Intuit to get a link to the manual updates (184MB) and applied.  No change.  The program still creates two different 8615 line 7 worksheets that have different information.

I talked to a TTax professional and asked about overriding the erroneous value.  He didn't recommend the override as it negates any guarantee of error-less return from TTax.  He suggested waiting for a future program update since there will apparently be a filing extension for C-19.  I'm in a holding pattern, awaiting a fix.