Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 4:06:12 PM

My NYS return wants me to "Check This Entry: Other Additions/Subtractions Stmt (225): Sch B Part 2 Code-5 is not a valid subtraction code. How do I get past this?

Seems to be related to Form IT-225.  What is that form and why do I need it?  I do not live in NY, nor do I have business there. I am a US expat and haven't lived in the US for more than 30 years.

3 40 24561
1 Best answer
Jun 7, 2019 4:06:13 PM

Thank you for your assistance.  I have found the answer to my question.  More of a programming problem as the return software kept asking me to input codes without explaining what they were, and that was probably because the NYS Form IT-225 itself was unclear.  Turns out I had input 0 in five places thinking they wanted a dollar value.  The software identified that as wrong but didn't tell me why it was wrong.  Had to start the return over and erase the fields to blanks before it would clear those errors.  Sorry if I caused anyone some unnecessary research.  

24 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 4:06:13 PM

Thank you for your assistance.  I have found the answer to my question.  More of a programming problem as the return software kept asking me to input codes without explaining what they were, and that was probably because the NYS Form IT-225 itself was unclear.  Turns out I had input 0 in five places thinking they wanted a dollar value.  The software identified that as wrong but didn't tell me why it was wrong.  Had to start the return over and erase the fields to blanks before it would clear those errors.  Sorry if I caused anyone some unnecessary research.  

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:16 PM

Where do you change the zeros to blanks

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:18 PM

same question as above: where do you change the zeroes to blanks?

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:22 PM

Yea this piste me off to.  Go to start state again at the bottom of page their is the additions suntractions tab, visit it and delete those 0 and wayla it’s good to go.

Level 1
Jun 7, 2019 4:06:23 PM

Go to: Edit State Form, Changes to Federal income, then scroll down to "Other New York Adjustment to Federal Income" and go through all of them and delete the zeros. Specially the last tab.

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:25 PM

That was a royal painn in the arse!  Thanks for the help, though!

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:25 PM

had the same problem. Your post was very much appreciated!

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:26 PM

zevastian - you're a life saver.

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:28 PM

Hi! I see what you are saying but am not able to actually change the zeros in the actual form - is there a trick to this? It appears to be un-editable on my end :(

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:30 PM

It solved my problem!!! So grateful this was posted!

Level 1
Jun 7, 2019 4:06:31 PM

Thank you for this post!! Step-by-step instructions were incredibly helpful.

Jun 7, 2019 4:06:33 PM

Same here, the error doesnt go away even after I cleared all the 0s

Same here. I deleted all 0 s but still error

Some of the sections have 2 forms. After 4-5 times of going through I finally found it and it went through. Thanks so much!!!!

Jan 28, 2020 8:26:03 AM

THANK YOU so much.  I was frustrated with this. Your instructions worked perfectly.

Jan 30, 2020 3:48:38 PM

This fixed it! Thank you for posting this. 

Expert Alumni
Feb 19, 2020 12:05:47 PM

Referring to NY Form IT-225.  Part 2 deals with modifications to Partners, Shareholders, Beneficiaries.  These modification codes are provided by the entity that sent you the income document (a K-1 for example).

1.  In the New York interview, continue the NY return and get to the page titled "changes to federal income." 

2.  Scroll down to the bottom of the "other New York adjustments to federal income."  

3.  Update the "Partner, shareholder, beneficiary adjustments"  

The next page is "additions" and the one after that will be "subtractions."  You will probably find that there are numbers in one or more of the boxes there.  Hopefully they will look familiar and you will know what document they come from.

You will need to find the source document and get the correct modification code to enter for each.  If you need to see what the available codes look like, click on the applicable hyperlink "additions" or "subtractions" on the TurboTax pages.  

Feb 22, 2020 11:59:38 AM

@zevastianp thank you! this solved my issue.

Level 1
Feb 26, 2020 6:49:12 AM

In order to fix the problem so that I could file our NY tax return, I had to go back to the start and go into the section concerning adjustments to federal income.  I put 0's in all the boxes which seems to be the mistake.  When I went back and deleted all the 0's and left them blank, I was able to file my return.  I spoke to 2 people at Turbo tax yesterday and neither one knew how to handle this and I was on the phone with them for a long time before we gave up.  

Turbo tax needs to be aware of this issue and provide the necessary guidance to get through this.  I shouldn't have to go into the community to do this.

Level 1
Feb 27, 2020 9:26:19 AM

This helped and solved the issue - I had to go back several times but I got there in the end! 

May 19, 2020 9:01:35 AM

I have moved back to New York a year ago I do not have a business so I'm not understanding why do I need form IT-225

Jun 7, 2020 11:03:55 AM

THANK YOU!!!

Jun 25, 2020 8:00:08 AM

Lifesaver!!!!! 🙂

Oct 6, 2020 8:19:52 AM

This worked for me when there was a "0" in one of the "subtraction" amount fields.  When the 0 was cleared, the error message went away.  Thanks for the solution!