Of course. In fact, the government doesn't want you to amend until you've already gotten your tax refund.
You're free to cash your refund check or spend it once you have it. You don't need to wait for your amendment to finish processing, which can take another 3-4 months.
If you owe money after amending, you'll just include payment with your mailed amendment form.
And if your amendment results in a second refund, you'll get a check for the additional amount.
- I received a refund when I filed, but now I owe taxes on the amendment. How do I handle this?
- How does the refund math work on amendments?
- I'm getting another refund after amending. Do I need to send the first one back?
- How do I add another form (like a W-2) or add/change/update something after I already filed?
- How do I amend my 2017 TurboTax Online return?