• Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 4, 2020 12:39:09 PM

Where can I get the 15 digit trace number from the IRS refund

0 22 5394
22 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Mar 5, 2020 9:59:47 AM

Please contact the Internal Revenue Service for assistance with your trace number. For contact information please click the link below.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-0

Level 1
Mar 30, 2020 6:44:12 PM

I need to get the trace number for the check my bank account did not receive. 

Level 1
Mar 30, 2020 6:47:13 PM

The link you gave did not help! I wish someone could answer this straight. It's a really messed up system. The trace number should be provided up front!

Intuit Alumni
Mar 30, 2020 6:52:09 PM

You will have to contact the IRS. Turbo Tax will not have this information. 

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-0

Jun 12, 2020 9:20:21 AM

1200 stimulus check 

Jun 15, 2020 3:35:36 AM

I need my 15 digit trace number so my bank can trace the stimulus money that was soloist to post may 13th that wasnt

Expert Alumni
Jun 15, 2020 6:29:49 AM

TurboTax will not have that information. The stimulus deposit comes directly from the IRS. 

Telephone Assistance: IRS live phone assistance is extremely limited at this time. For Economic Impact Payment questions, call 800-919-9835.

IRS Telephone Assistance

Returning Member
Jun 15, 2020 2:40:09 PM

Where could I find a trace number from IRS for deposit payment I never recieved

Returning Member
Mar 19, 2021 2:27:17 PM

Need my 15 digit tracing number so my bank can try and locate my federal refund

Intuit Alumni
Mar 19, 2021 2:34:32 PM

@lonniegene2019 For refund trace steps, please click here.

Mar 16, 2022 11:39:51 AM

Calling the IRS does NOT work.  

There are 2 case scenarios:

1. If Turbotax takes their fees from your refund, they automatically direct deposit your refund into their bank and then issue the remaining amount to your bank.  The problem with this is you have to have a Trace # to provide to your bank if there are any discrepancies on your return, such as your account number and/ or routing number.

2. If you did not have Turbotax take out the fees and paid them up front you have to contact the IRS at this point.

Update:  S/w an agent who was very helpful at Turbotax.  She stated that if there is a discrepancy with any routing or account # info, (which is my case) it will be flagged by the IRS and they will eventually mail a check to the address given on the tax return.  A trace # will be provided by the IRS if yo need one, but getting through to them...good luck 🙂

Returning Member
Apr 15, 2022 4:32:41 PM

My refund was sent to GreenDot bank on 3/30.  The agent I spoke with at the IRS would not give me the trace number, stating, "we don't need to trace it, we know where it is, it's at GreenDot bank".  For some reason, she could not understand that I needed the the Trace number to give to GreenDot.  I was on the phone literally with the IRS for 4 hours trying to get through.  soooooo frustrated!

Intuit Alumni
Apr 15, 2022 4:59:36 PM

If you have lost your refund, you can start the refund trace using this method here with the IRS.  

@Luvlepeech

Returning Member
Apr 15, 2022 5:04:07 PM

the IRS says, "it's not lost, they know where it is".  I just needed the trace number to give to GreenDot so they can locate it.  I'll try back again on Monday

Intuit Alumni
Apr 15, 2022 5:20:58 PM

Turbo Tax would not have the trace number because we do not issue the refunds.  This comes from the IRS.  Did you get the deposit date of March 30th from the IRS?

If you chose to have your fees deducted, you can check with Santa Barbara Tax Products Group to see if they deposited it.
https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230418728-What-s-the-status-of-my-2019-refund-

https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

@Luvlepeech

Returning Member
Apr 22, 2022 4:52:21 PM

Ok, so my refund was deposited on March 30th. The first IRS agent I spoke with gave me the routing number used. The second IRS agent gave me the last 4 of the bank account that was used. TPG stated neither the account number OR routing number match what they (TPG) have for me. TPG stated I needed to contact the preparer, preparer being TurboTax, to request the account info that was given to the IRS. TurboTax had to give the IRS an account to send the deposit to and here is the problem 

Returning Member
Apr 22, 2022 4:59:50 PM

Any resolution? Apparently the IRS and TPG have different account and routing numbers, but TPG is insisting  I need a trace number, but the IRS seems to be oblivious to where to find a trace number 

Mar 10, 2023 3:34:46 PM

• I need my 15 digit trace number to help my bank recover money they didn't receive.

Intuit Alumni
Mar 11, 2023 10:02:39 AM

You will need to contact the IRS directly, by clicking this link,

When calling the IRS do not choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.      
1. After first choosing your language, then do not choose Option 1 (refund info).  
2. Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
3. Press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".      
4. Press 3 "for all other questions.
5. Then press 2 "for all other questions
6. When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.      
7. After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
8. Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
9. It should then transfer you to an agent.

For more information, please see the following IRS link: Refund Trace

Returning Member
Mar 15, 2023 5:41:06 PM

Hi, I'm not sure why they are still telling people to call the IRS for the 15 digit  trace  number, you will need to call the department of the treasury at 18003331795

.  I went around and around with TPG and Turbotax Tax for 3 weeks last year, on the phone for several hours out of every day, only to figure out the IRS does not issue funds, The Dept of the Treasury does.  Got the 15 digit trace number after only a 2 minute phone call.

Returning Member
Mar 15, 2023 5:47:59 PM

@userJa You will need to call the Dept of the Treasury to get the 15 digit trace number.  Every agent from Turbotax and TPG will tell you to call the IRS, THEY DO NOT HAVE IT!!!!  You will have your 15 digit trace in less than 2 minutes on the phone with the rep.  It took me 3.5 weeks last year back and forth with Turbotax and TPG...and PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM, were useless.  [phone number removed] is the Dept of the Treasury's number

Intuit Alumni
Mar 16, 2023 8:37:49 AM

Please see the IRS website for information on how to trace your refund. Turbo Tax will not know this information as we are not a bank and we do not issue refund 

checks. We can only guide you to where to go for assistance.

IRS.GOV