Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 12, 2022 10:33:45 AM

Initially hired to intern in the US and got paid relocation money for that, however ended up interning for that company in another country. Do I need to file taxes?

So, I was initially hired to intern at a company in the US and they paid relocation money for that

However, circumstances changed and I ended up interning for that same company in another country and got paid in that country's currency.

Now my question is, I didn't earn anything else in US dollars apart from the relocation money which they haven't asked to return. And upon asking them for a W-2, they said that since the internship was conducted in a different country, I would not be receiving any US tax forms. So, do I need to file taxes in this scenario? The relocation money is less than the minimum filing amount of $12,500 and will be filing as a single, under age of 65 and I'm currently in the US on a student visa

0 3 206
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 12, 2022 10:55:08 AM

Yes, if you are a US Citizen, the money you earned worldwide is taxable in addition to your unused relocation payment. You can use a currency converter to determine how much you made in US dollars to report on your return. 

Apr 12, 2022 11:12:38 AM

@Vanessa A Sorry, i forgot to mention. I'm not a US Citizen. I'm studying in the US on a F-1 visa

Expert Alumni
Apr 12, 2022 11:27:20 AM

Ok, if you are here on a F-1 visa, you would need to contact Sprintax.com to get answers to your questions as you would need to file a 1040NR which TurboTax does not support.