Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 17, 2020 8:50:18 PM

I received a w2 correction from my employer. Do I enter the corrected amount or the original amount?

0 3 294
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 18, 2020 9:11:02 AM

You should enter the corrected amount since it is the most accurate. However, if you received a W-2C, then you should enter it instead of the original W-2. 

Level 2
Feb 11, 2022 6:37:56 AM

My w2-c shows only the fields that need to be corrected and leave all other fields blank, I assume that how w2-c look ?? as I never receive one before. Thanks

Level 15
Feb 11, 2022 6:58:48 AM

@bhbaothebeginning 

1)  If you have not actually filed your original tax return yet

IF you already entered your W-2 into the software, you edit that one and change just the boxes that changed as shown on the W-2C...leaving whatever boxes already filled in as-is.  Then on a page following the main form, there is a checkbox to indicate that it represents a W-2C

IF you have not entered the original W-2, you enter all the boxes for that one....but change just the boxes that show as being changed from the W-2C.  Then on a page following the main form, there is a checkbox to indicate that it represents a W-2C

BUT

2)  IF you have fully-filed your original tax return already. You might have to amend it.   But, that depends on what the employer actually changed. Some changes are immaterial to your tax filing and don't require an amendment, so you'd have to tell us what box $$ and/or codes changed for the W-2 C...AND, what tax year the W-2C is for   (Some 2020 W-2C's have been coming out that don't require amendments)