Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 4:17:52 AM

I need to amend a 1040EZ line 5 to check the "You" box and delete the $10,350, how do I do that in Turbo Tax?

I need to submit a 1040X for my dependent daughter who is in college and I provide for her. I need to amend line 5 to check the "You" box and delete the $10,350. How do I do that in Turbo Tax?"

0 1 414
1 Best answer
Intuit Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 4:17:54 AM

You can change your daughter's status to "dependent" under the Personal Info section.

When you file your amended return, in order to report that you were a dependent, follow these steps: 

1.       Open your TurboTax return. 

2.       Select the Personal Info tab. 

3.       Click the Edit icon beside your daughter's name. 

4.       Scroll down the page to item 3. A few other things we need to know.  Check Yes beside someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return. (See the screenshot below.) 

1 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 4:17:54 AM

You can change your daughter's status to "dependent" under the Personal Info section.

When you file your amended return, in order to report that you were a dependent, follow these steps: 

1.       Open your TurboTax return. 

2.       Select the Personal Info tab. 

3.       Click the Edit icon beside your daughter's name. 

4.       Scroll down the page to item 3. A few other things we need to know.  Check Yes beside someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return. (See the screenshot below.)