Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Jun 5, 2019 11:14:11 PM

I have been trying to access my tax account on IRS.gov for 3 months now. It keeps telling me my account has been disabled. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

I have been trying to access my tax account on IRS.gov for 3 months now. It keeps telling me my account has been disabled. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

3 43 40517
24 Replies
Level 7
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:13 PM
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:14 PM

Same thing has happened to me. I just want to pay it off. On hold with IRS for 13 minutes now. We tried my husband and his info worked, however his cell phone is a work phone so the last step didn’t work. So frustrating

Level 1
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:16 PM

i entered the correct information an the irs still did not give me my transcripts

Level 2
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:17 PM

Just received activation code. Have tried logging in to online service account multiple times using latest Chrome browser -- never goes past the spinning wheel "Loading..." page. Switched to IE 11 which works fine.

Level 2
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:19 PM

Just received activation code. Have tried logging in to online service account multiple times using latest Chrome browser -- never goes past the spinning wheel "Loading..." page. Switched to IE 11 which works fine.

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:20 PM

I suspect the IRS froze it because you (or someone else) tried to access it too many times. Call the IRS for assistance

IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

• Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent, 

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:22 PM

Also, per the IRS: Safari users on iOS and macOS may experience problems when creating an account. If you encounter an error, please try a different browser.

Level 1
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:25 PM

I just got off the phone with the IRS.  They were unable to help.  Said it was not their responsibility.   And yes - I have tried Google Chrome.

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:27 PM

Try setting up a new account with a different password.

Level 1
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:28 PM

I can't even get to the point to create a password.    

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:30 PM

Call the IRS back and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Jun 5, 2019 11:14:31 PM

I am having the same issue. I tried to login and it asked me for additional verification, meaning an account number to credit card, mortgage, etc. I attempted with my auto account number as well as two different credit cards (not debit). All accounts are well established - not new - however, the site would not accept and now I am locked out with the same registration error. The site says to attempt in 24 hours - I waited 3 days so far but still cannot access. There is no technical help at the IRS apparently. This is terribly frustrating - they ask for something that they do not accept, then lock me out of my account 😕

Jun 5, 2019 11:14:33 PM

I just tried this and she basically told me to get lost and call the number on the account disabled page.  The number on the account disabled page just tells me to go online and search for my problem. uhm

Jun 5, 2019 11:14:34 PM

My account was disabled "for my protection" in 2015.  Despite my efforts (including many of the suggestions listed above) the account cannot be re-activated for an indefinite period of time, perhaps never.  No further explanation can be provided to me, and no other remedies appear to exist.  

Jun 5, 2019 11:14:36 PM

yes, call the irs to unlock your account. Be prepared to wait 8 hours

Jun 5, 2019 11:14:38 PM

markgmidei is correct. Once an account is disabled this way, they have no way to re-enable it. I spent about an hour on the phone with the folks at the number on that screen. We are all screwed until the IRS fixes the broken registration process.

Jun 5, 2019 11:14:39 PM

Same issue: locked out after entering correct, long-established account numbers. It's been 48 hours, and I still get the "come back after 24 hours" message.

Level 2
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:40 PM

Have tried logging in to online service account multiple times using latest Chrome browser -- never goes past the spinning wheel "Loading..." page. Switched to Internet Explorer which works fine.

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:14:41 PM

If online is not available, IRS has a paper form to request a transcript via US Mail.

Jul 26, 2019 10:22:20 AM

from the website: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/important-update-about-your-eservices-account

If you are an existing e-Services user and you cannot successfully authenticate online, you have an option called exception processing by phone. You may call the IRS and a customer service representative will ask a series of questions related to your current and prior year tax return information including income information documents. For exception processing, call the e-Help desk at 1-888-841-4648 (select your language, then prompt 1 and remain on the line until an assistor picks up) 7:30 a.m. Eastern to 7 p.m. Eastern.

Aug 9, 2019 3:15:51 PM

Close out of all your tabs on your phone. Go to IRS.gov and set up a new account even if you already have one. Once you put in all of your info and email address, it’ll give you option to verify your identity. Choose “my phone or Mail”. Then put your phone number in that is associated with your IRS account and choose to verify through text message. They will send you an security code via text. Then they give you 3 options after saying there is already an account with this email. Choose the 2nd option which is to “re-register” an account. Then you should be all set.

Jan 5, 2020 4:18:47 PM

I have been trying to login on the website but it keeps telling me my information doesn't match their records, but all of my information is correct.

Level 15
Jan 5, 2020 4:19:47 PM

@atabronsr wrote:

I have been trying to login on the website but it keeps telling me my information doesn't match their records, but all of my information is correct.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.
Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Feb 14, 2020 1:02:38 AM

Use firefox!