Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Apr 27, 2021 8:03:27 AM

I discovered an error in my taxes after I paid TurboTax and printed the taxes and got them ready to mail. Because I already paid TurboTax, I have to amend my returns.

I discovered an error in my taxes after I paid TurboTax, printed the taxes, and got them ready to mail. Because I already paid TurboTax, I have to amend my returns. I cannot redo them from scratch without paying TurboTax again. So, I just completed my amended tax returns and I am getting ready to mail them. I have not mailed my original tax filings yet that were incorrect. As long as I am filing an amended return, do I really have to also mail in the errant returns that I completed first? I haven't mailed them yet.

0 3 238
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 27, 2021 8:16:22 AM

No, don't amend if you haven’t actually e-filed or mailed your return yet. Just open your return and make any changes, and file when you're ready. 

See Do I need to amend?

Level 2
Apr 27, 2021 8:28:54 AM

It doesn't give me any options other than amend return. How do I open my taxes again and start there? 

This is what the page says

Your tax returns & documents
Filed Federal Tax Return
Filed with: TurboTax Self‑Employed
Return Status: Printed 04/25/2021
Filed Ohio Tax Return
Return Status: Printed 04/25/2021
Add a State
You've unlocked exclusive benefits for total peace of mind
We're here for you with year-round full audit representation and identity theft coverage
See all your MAX benefits
Amend (change) return

Download/print return (PDF)
My Docs
Smart Insights™
View adjusted gross income
(AGI)
View order details

Download .tax file

Expert Alumni
Apr 27, 2021 8:37:24 AM

In order to get back into your return to make changes after indicating that you plan to file by mail, you will need to choose that you are trying to Add a State.  This will open up the return again so that you can edit it.  

The step by step instructions are in the following TurboTax article, just stop after step 4 and make your changes:

How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online?

@geercom