• Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 4:46:27 AM

How to save my unfinished tax return?

0 13 1979
13 Replies
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 4:46:29 AM

Go up to My Account then Save & Sign Out. Or do you want to download it to your computer?

Level 2
Sep 7, 2019 4:35:59 PM

I don't see anywhere "My Account" on the app version i'm working on with my computer.

Level 15
Sep 7, 2019 4:41:26 PM

@ jkaruna

wrote:

I don't see anywhere "My Account" on the app version i'm working on with my computer.

This is an old thread from around 3 years ago that transferred into this new forum. Unfortunately, all those old threads were given an early June 2019 date, which is confusing to users.

There is no longer a "My Account" menu in Online TurboTax.   And when there was, it was only for Online TurboTax, not the desktop software.   The website was redesigned a couple years ago. 

"the app version i'm working on with my computer"

What does that mean?  Are you referring to installed desktop software (CD/download) as opposed to the Online website version?   Any references to "My Account" were for the old Online website.

If you are using Online TurboTax, see the answer I left you in your other thread on how to end a session:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/re-i-also-do-not-have-my-account-i-am-not-using-the-online/01/849238#M189378

If you are using desktop TurboTax (CD/download), what product are you using, and is it for MAC or PC?

Level 2
Sep 8, 2019 5:06:32 PM

I am using the downloaded version for PCs. Version 2018 Home and Business. Paid $119.

Level 15
Sep 8, 2019 5:46:04 PM

Then go up to File-Save.   Or it should ask you to save when you exit or start another new return.  Your data is saved as a file ending in .tax2018.  And be sure to save frequently, even when working on your return.

Feb 11, 2021 4:36:59 PM

I have down loaded Turbotax deluxe 2020 on my Mac Airbook

laptop. I do not know how to save unfinished federal tax return

on my fish drive

Intuit Alumni
Feb 11, 2021 5:45:06 PM

If you need to save a copy of your unfinished return, please follow the instructions here

Level 2
Apr 25, 2021 9:37:47 PM

I'm working with a deluxe version download on a Mac.  having trouble saving.  it repeatedly says I don't have permission to save.  but they sometimes it does so automatically.  thanks.  please reply to 

Level 2
Apr 25, 2021 9:38:58 PM

the instructions on the last post did not help.  Bil Cressler 

Level 15
Apr 25, 2021 10:44:12 PM

@bil cressler 

wrote:

I'm working with a deluxe version download on a Mac.  having trouble saving.  it repeatedly says I don't have permission to save.  but they sometimes it does so automatically.  thanks.  please reply to [personal info removed]

This is a public Internet forum.  You should not post personal info here.  No telling who could try to spam/scam you.  You can edit your comment above to remove your personal info.  To do that click the tiny blue 3-dot icon just to the right of your comment.   It's possible a Moderator may remove it.

I don't use a Mac, so I'm going to ask someone who may be familiar with this issue to help you on Monday.

In the meantime, if you're trying to save it to a flash drive or external drive, try saving it to the main drive instead.

@macuser_22    When you are next around, are you please able to assist this user who has a "permissions issue" with saving his file?   Thanks!

Level 15
Apr 26, 2021 7:32:12 AM

Saving to removable media is not recommended because of permissions problems.  Save to your Desktop.

Level 2
Apr 26, 2021 8:46:21 PM

thank you.  I was saving them on a thumb drive.  have moved them to my desktop and will see how that works.  much appreciated.  bil

Level 2
Apr 26, 2021 9:50:49 PM

it is working fine.  thanks again.  Bil C.