Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 4:38:20 PM

Corrected W-2: How to enter information?

I received a corrected W-2 (I am a consultant and earned income in a state outside of my home state - the W-2C reflects this new state income). However, the copy I have does not include all of the information from the original W-2, only an amended Boxes 15, 16, and 17. Can I just add these changes from the additional state in my info, without actually uploading the new W-2?

0 6 2091
6 Replies
Level 2
Jun 3, 2019 4:38:22 PM

If one of your W-2s is mostly blank, just enter the other W-2 and make sure you include the info from the mostly-blank W-2. Usually, "blank" W-2s have additional Box 12 line items or entries for a second state in Boxes 15-20. Don't enter a separate W-2 if Box 1 is empty, as you won't be able to e-file.

Don't forget to check the Corrected W-2 box when you get to the Do any of these uncommon situations apply? screen.

Jun 3, 2019 4:38:24 PM

I did, but it does not generate anything else. As of now, I just added another "state" for boxes 15-17 with that income. So now I have Virginia and New Jersey. However, the total income was originally just reported as Virginia income.  In reality, this total income is comprised of Virginia + New Jersey...so how do I edit my Virginia income to be the total - Ohio? Do I just subtract the Ohio income and manually enter it?

Jun 3, 2019 4:38:27 PM

In Sum, box 16 was never amended on my original w2 to show what I ACTUALLY earned in Virginia after ohio income was deducted.

Level 2
Jun 3, 2019 4:38:28 PM

If the W-2C still does not reflect the actual income or tax amount, you will need to contact your employer to issue another W2-C form so they can submit the corrected information to the IRS.

Jun 3, 2019 4:38:30 PM

The W2-C just says to refer to the first W2 for income, however, that income is my total income, which just shows as VA income.

Jun 3, 2019 4:38:32 PM

I need the version that has my Ohio income subtracted from that