Change my bank account from last year

tried the suggested work around leaving bank unchecked

0 20 3099
1 Best answer
Jun 5, 2019 10:37:48 PM

To change bank account information in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in, then Continue your/take me to my return
  2. Go to File (top right). Complete Step 1Start/Revisit Step 2
  3. TurboTax will ask 'How would you like to get your federal refund?' Answer: In Your Bank 

Note: Select Show All to display bank information. To change what's displayed: Uncheck I want my refund deposited into this account, change info on the next page.

20 Replies
Jun 5, 2019 10:37:48 PM

To change bank account information in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in, then Continue your/take me to my return
  2. Go to File (top right). Complete Step 1Start/Revisit Step 2
  3. TurboTax will ask 'How would you like to get your federal refund?' Answer: In Your Bank 

Note: Select Show All to display bank information. To change what's displayed: Uncheck I want my refund deposited into this account, change info on the next page.

Jun 5, 2019 10:37:50 PM

How could these instructions be more helpful?

Jun 5, 2019 10:37:51 PM

I need to make changes to the bank information, after i chose and submitted the bank information

Jun 5, 2019 10:37:53 PM

Yes I already changes my bank information and my direct deposit as well.

Jun 5, 2019 10:37:56 PM

Is it to let to change my bank info

Returning Member
Apr 26, 2020 12:50:07 PM

Yes i need to change my bank information ASAP because I’m trying get my stimulus check and they send it to my account that’s close and i don’t no what address they sending the paper check too 

Not applicable
Feb 1, 2021 10:51:45 AM

i am not paying in or receiving a refund and turbo tax wont let me change bank account information.. 

how do i do this ?

Intuit Alumni
Feb 1, 2021 11:07:05 AM

@Anonymous 

To update your billing, sign in to TurboTax using this link. How to update billing

Level 1
Apr 11, 2021 12:56:59 AM

To another bank for my federal refund

Level 1
Apr 11, 2021 12:58:07 AM

Need to change my bank account now

Level 1
Apr 11, 2021 12:59:10 AM

Yes

Intuit Alumni
Apr 11, 2021 10:04:03 AM

If you have already filed, you will not be able to change your banking information.  

To update your account/payment information, please see the Help Article here.  

Apr 16, 2021 2:27:10 AM

I want to change my account number my old account is close

Expert Alumni
Apr 16, 2021 4:10:14 PM

@Angeltema85 If you have not yet filed your return, click this link for instructions on How to Change Direct Deposit Info

Level 1
Apr 19, 2021 8:27:16 PM

Is it to late to change bank account

Expert Alumni
Apr 19, 2021 8:33:42 PM

If you have already filed your 2020 return, yes, it is too late.   If you have not filed, you can still change it when you file the return.   @6150623309

May 7, 2021 1:05:27 PM

I updated my bank info now they can deposit my stimulus money routing #[number removed] account# [number removed]

Expert Alumni
May 9, 2021 6:02:26 AM

If the tax return has not been filed, the bank account information can be updated. 

For the steps on how to do that, see: 

Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number?

How do I change my transferred direct deposit information?

Returning Member
Oct 29, 2021 8:01:12 PM

Hello my name is Gloria Stacker and need help to change my checking account.    [phone number removed]

Level 15
Oct 29, 2021 9:02:00 PM

@gloriagstacker If you have NOT already filed your tax return you can change your banking information in the FILE section.    But if you already filed, it is too late--you cannot change banking information after you file your tax return.

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-answers/irs-procedures/refund-inquiries/refund-inquiries-18