Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Jan 27, 2021 10:04:31 PM

Box 14

I just file my tax about an hour ago and I missed one line under Box 14 because the amount shown in my W2 is not being accepted by turbo tax saying it shouldn't be greater than certain amount which is $29. Is it gonna impact my refund or do I have to amend my tax after?

0 3 606
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 29, 2021 7:27:12 PM

Box 14 is usually informational but does relate to some state tax issues. Without knowing more, we are not able to verify what you will need to do. What was the income related to?

Returning Member
Jan 30, 2021 9:46:24 AM

FLI. And it says on turbotax form it shouldn't be greater than 29. But on my w2 says 46 something. So I just left it blank. Is there gonna be a problem or will cause delay?

Expert Alumni
Feb 2, 2021 10:05:04 AM

No, it shouldn't cause a problem with filing or a delay - you can enter whatever limit the TurboTax program has identified as the maximum allowed. There are limits on how much employers can deduct for the types of taxes described in Box 14, but they won't affect your tax calculations.

Your employer has likely lumped 2 of the taxes (that apply to you) together on your W2. They are separate taxes with separate maximums, so you need to self-correct when you enter the W2. 

This post describes the issue in additional detail, although the maximums were for another tax year (they are updated every year - But Turbotax tells me NJ SDI can't be greater than $67. What can I do?