Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 7:49:53 PM

2015 1098 add on?

I have a 1098 that was sent to me from a mortgage lender after I finished my 2015 taxes.  Can I add it anywhere in my 2016 taxes or do have to amend my 2015 taxes?

0 1 355
1 Best answer
May 31, 2019 7:49:55 PM

You will need to amend your 2015 tax return to include any W-2s or 1099s that were received after you filed. The data on these forms is specific to the tax year on the form. Any attempt to include the form in another year's tax return would be identified by the IRS matching program and would trigger a notice correcting that year's return.

Since you have filed your tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS, you will need to file an amended 2015 return. Open your 2015 return, and TurboTax will guide you through correctly entering your new data and printing Form 1040X. You may also have to amend your state income tax return if you have a state income tax. Please note that amended tax returns must be filed by mail.

For more information, please see TurboTax Guide - Amending Your Income Tax Return.

1 Replies
May 31, 2019 7:49:55 PM

You will need to amend your 2015 tax return to include any W-2s or 1099s that were received after you filed. The data on these forms is specific to the tax year on the form. Any attempt to include the form in another year's tax return would be identified by the IRS matching program and would trigger a notice correcting that year's return.

Since you have filed your tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS, you will need to file an amended 2015 return. Open your 2015 return, and TurboTax will guide you through correctly entering your new data and printing Form 1040X. You may also have to amend your state income tax return if you have a state income tax. Please note that amended tax returns must be filed by mail.

For more information, please see TurboTax Guide - Amending Your Income Tax Return.