This rejection occurs when the name or Social Security number for the qualifying child is either incorrect or doesn't match what's on file with the IRS.
Get your children's Social Security cards and then follow these steps to make sure their information was entered correctly:
- Sign in to TurboTax, go to your Tax Home, and select Fix my return
- On the screen Let’s fix your return and then refile, select Fix it now
- On the next screen, make sure that each child's name and Social Security number match the information on their Social Security card exactly
- If the information is wrong:
- Select No, there is a mistake and Continue
- Correct the information on the next screen, and select Continue
- Select Continue to refile and follow the instructions to refile your return
- If the information is correct:
- Select Yes, I have verified the information and there is no mistake, then Continue
- Follow the instructions on the next screens to either refile or mail your return
If you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches your children's Social Security cards, you can refile your return online, but your refund could be delayed by 1–2 weeks. You also have the option to file a paper return. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you further with this rejection error, as the problem lies with government agencies' data that we have no control over.
After mailing or refiling your return, we suggest you call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.