A letter or notice from the IRS doesn’t necessarily mean you're being audited. Some don't even require a response.
The IRS sends notices and letters for the following reasons:
- You have a balance due
- You're getting a larger or smaller refund
- You need to verify your identity
- The IRS needs more info about your return
- The IRS changed your return
- Processing your return has been delayed
Addressing your letter as soon as you receive it could prevent further IRS contact or examination. Look in your IRS letter or notice, and select the corresponding number below for more information about what to do next.
Other common letters
If you don't see your notice listed here, go to IRS Notice or Letter page.