Transfer last year's return into 2016 TurboTax for Windows
Save time and effort by transferring last year's tax return into 2016 TurboTax for Windows.
You can transfer a tax data file such as .tax2015 (from TurboTax), .t15 (H&R Block at Home) or .ta5 (TaxACT).
You can also transfer a PDF of your 2015 return, whether you used other tax software, or an accountant or tax service. More info.
If you successfully e-filed your return last year, we'll even transfer your e-file signature so you won't have to re-enter your AGI.
- Open TurboTax 2016 and choose Start a New Return from the TurboTax File menu.
- Don't open an existing return by clicking the "Continue" button.
- When your 2015 tax file appears on the Good News screen, select it and click Transfer Return.
- If you don't see last year's tax file, click Browse and in the new window select All Files (*.*) from the drop-down in the lower right corner. Then browse to wherever you stored your 2015 return and open it.
- Still can't locate it? It might be on another computer. You'll need to move it to your current computer.
- After the transfer is complete, check the screen for any special instructions. If none click Continue.
- Now save your new tax file to ensure you don't lose any info and continue to follow the on-screen instructions,
- You'll also have a change to review, edit, or delete transferred information later on.
Please note that once you've gone past the Transfer screens, you can't revisit them. If you need to re-transfer, start fresh with a new return by following the steps above.
- On your Mac, find last year's tax file and copy it to a removable device such as a thumb or flash drive.
- On your Windows computer, copy the tax file from the device to your desktop or My Documents.
- Rename the tax file by right-clicking it, choosing Rename, and adding a .tax2015 file name extension to it.
- Open TurboTax for Windows and select Start a New Return.
- TurboTax will search for 2015 tax return files on your computer and should find it. If not:
- Click Browse and go to where you saved the file in Step 2.
- Once located, select the file and click Open.
- Wait for TurboTax to finish transferring the information over.
You can then review transferred information and add, edit, or delete items as necessary. More info
If you have a copy of your 2015 Online return in .tax2015 data file format, just follow the first set of instructions above.
If you don't, use this workaround:
- Go to turbotax.com and start a 2016 Online return using the same login you used last year. This will transfer your 2015 data over.
- In TurboTax Online, My Account, then click Tools, and then select Save your 2016 return to your computer.
- Browse to where you can easily find the saved file, such as your Desktop.
- (Optional) Change the default name to something more meaningful, for example J Doe 2016 Tax Return.
- Click Save.
Now, open the .tax2016 file (which contains the transferred 2015 info) in TurboTax for Windows:
- Open your TurboTax 2016 program.
- From the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
- Browse to where you saved the .tax2016 file, and then click Open.
- (Optional) Review, edit, or delete the info that transferred over.
If you used other tax software, or an accountant or tax service last year and you have a PDF of your return, here is information and instructions on transferring your return.
Notice: If you have dependents, you'll need to revisit the dependent topic to ensure their info transferred correctly. You can revisit this by going to the Personal Info tab and clicking on You & Your Family.