Transfer last year's return into TurboTax for Windows
Save time and effort by transferring last year's tax return into 2015 TurboTax for Windows.
If you successfully e-filed your return last year, we'll even transfer your e-file signature so you won't have to re-enter your PIN or AGI.
- Open TurboTax 2015 and choose New Tax Return from the TurboTax File menu.
- Don't open an existing return by clicking the "Continue" button.
- When your 2014 tax file appears on the Good News screen, select it and click Transfer Return.
- If you don't see last year's tax file, click Browse Files and in the new window select All Files (*.*) from the drop-down in the lower right corner. Then browse to wherever you stored your 2014 return and open it.
- Still can't locate it? It might be on another computer. You'll need to move it to your current computer.
- Wait for the Transfer Complete screen to appear, then click Continue to review the transferred information. You can also review, edit, or delete transferred information later on.
Please note that once you've gone past the Transfer screens, you can't revisit them. If you need to re-transfer, start fresh with a new return by following the steps above.
- On your Mac, find last year's tax file and copy it to a removable device such as a thumb or flash drive.
- On your Windows computer, copy the tax file from the device to your desktop or My Documents.
- Rename the tax file by right-clicking it, choosing Rename, and adding a .tax2014 file name extension to it.
- Open TurboTax for Windows and select Start a New Return.
- TurboTax will search for 2014 tax return files on your computer and should find it. If not:
- Click Browse and go to where you saved the file in Step 2.
- Once located, select the file and click Open.
- Wait for TurboTax to finish transferring the information over.
You can then review transferred information and add, edit, or delete items as necessary. More info
If you have a copy of your 2014 Online return in .tax2014 data file format, just follow the first set of instructions above.
If you don't, use this workaround:
- Go to turbotax.com and start a 2015 Online return using the same login you used last year. This will transfer your 2014 data over.
- In TurboTax Online, My Account, then click Tools, and then select Save your 2015 return to your computer.
- Browse to where you can easily find the saved file, such as your Desktop.
- (Optional) Change the default name to something more meaningful, for example J Doe 2015 Tax Return.
- Click Save.
Now, open the .tax2015 file (which contains the transferred 2014 info) in TurboTax for Windows:
- Open your TurboTax 2015 program.
- From the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
- Browse to where you saved the .tax2015 file, and then click Open.
- (Optional) Review, edit, or delete the info that transferred over.
- When transferring, what information carries over to my return?
- What kinds of things am I unable to transfer in TurboTax?
- How do I move my tax data file to another computer?