, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Save time and effort by transferring last year's tax return info to your 2013 return. If you successfully e-filed your return last year, we'll even transfer your verification info so you won't have to re-enter your PIN or AGI.
How to transfer your 2012 TurboTax for Windows, TaxACT, or H&R Block return to the TurboTax 2013 for Windows software
Before you begin, find the location of the 2012 tax file on your computer. Click here for help.
- Open TurboTax 2013 and choose New Tax Return from the TurboTax File menu.
- When your 2012 tax file appears, select it and click Transfer Return.
- If no tax data files are found, you'll be asked if you have a PDF copy of last year's return.
- If you don't see last year's tax or PDF file, click Browse Files, browse to the location of your 2012 return, and open it. If you don't have your 2012 tax file and need to use a .PDF of your return, click the drop-down menu saying Tax Files (*.tax2012, *t12, *.ta2) and select All Files.
- Still can't locate it? It might be on another computer. You'll need to move it to your current computer.
- Wait for the Transfer Complete screen to appear, then click Continue to review the transferred information. You can also review, edit, or delete transferred information later on.
Please note that you cannot go back to the Transfer screens once you have gone past them. This is because transferring wipes out existing information that was entered. It is only possible to transfer into a new, blank return.
Should I transfer from the tax file or the PDF?
Always transfer from the tax file, as it's more complete.
The following information transfers from the TurboTax .tax2012, H&R Block .t12, and TaxACT .ta2 data file to TurboTax for Windows:
- Federal Information Worksheet - Taxpayer and spouse name, address, social security number, birth date, and filing status as well as dependent(s) name(s), social security number(s), and birth date(s).
- Form 2441 Child and Dependent Care Expenses - Care provider name, address, and EIN/SSN number.
- Form W-2 - Employer name, address, EIN/control numbers, state and local names.
- Schedule B - Interest and dividend payer name.
- Schedule C and Schedule F - Required business designations plus prior-year inventory and cost amounts. Business use of home required information plus carryover amounts.
- Schedule E - Property type, location and special other expense designations.
- Schedule K-1 Partnership, K-1 S Corporation, and K-1 Estates and Trusts - Name, ID, taxpayer, spouse, PTP and foreign designations.
- Retirement and Pension Information - Taxpayer/spouse designations; payer name, address, account number and ID; distributions codes, state and local designations.
- Carryover Worksheet - Prior year AGI, tax liability, overpayment credit, itemized deductions, and AMT. Short term and long term carryovers, investment expenses disallowed, general business credits, section 179 disallowed and IRA basis and excess contributions.
In contrast, transferring from the PDF file is limited to the following information:
- Name, address, and filing status
- Social Security number
- Adjusted Gross Income
- Dependent information
- Bank information for direct deposit of tax refunds
How to transfer your 2012 TurboTax for Mac return to the TurboTax 2013 for Windows software
You can transfer last year's tax return prepared with TurboTax CD/Download software for Mac to your 2013 TurboTax for Windows return.
- From your Mac, copy last year's TurboTax file to a flash drive. Find your Mac tax file
- On your Windows computer, copy the tax file from the flash drive.
- Rename the tax file by right-clicking it, choosing Rename, and adding a .tax2012 file name extension to it.
- Open TurboTax for Windows and select Start a New Return.
- Although TurboTax will search for 2012 tax return files on your computer, it still might not find your Mac file. To find it yourself:
- Click Find a Tax File and look on your Desktop.
- Once located, select the file and click Open.
- Wait for TurboTax to finish transferring the information over.
You can then review transferred information and add, edit, or delete items as necessary. More info
How to transfer your 2012 TurboTax Online return to the TurboTax 2013 for Windows software
If you have a copy of your 2012 Online return in .tax2012 data file format, just follow the first set of instructions above.
If you don't, use this workaround:
- Go to turbotax.com and start a 2013 Online return (Basic or higher) using the same login you used last year. This will transfer your 2012 data over.
- On the left side of TurboTax Online, click Tools, and then select Save your 2013 return to your computer. (Don't see the side menu on the left? Click here for help.)
- Browse to where you can easily find the saved file, such as your Desktop.
- (Optional) Change the default name to something more meaningful, for example J Doe 2013 Tax Return.
- Click Save.
Now, open the .tax2013 file (which contains the transferred 2012 info) in TurboTax for Windows:
- Open your TurboTax 2013 program.
- From the File menu, select Open Tax Return.
- Browse to where you saved the .tax2013 file, and then click Open.
- (Optional) Review, edit, or delete the info that transferred over.
- When transferring, what carries over to my 2013 return?
- What info doesn't transfer over to my 2013 return?
- How do I update or delete info transferred or imported into the TurboTax CD/Download software?
- How do I move my tax return to another computer?
- Move your 2013 Online return to the 2013 TurboTax CD/Download software