, Answering FAQ'sTurboTax Employee
Form 1310 is for people who wish to claim a refund on behalf of a deceased taxpayer.
Do not fill out Form 1310 if you are:
- The surviving spouse who is filing an original or amended joint return with the person who has passed away
- A "personal representative" filing an original return for the person who passed, and you attach a certificate proving that a court put you in charge of their estate, money, property, etc.
Otherwise you'll need to fill out Form 1310 if you are completing an individual tax return for a deceased person with a refund.
Entering Form 1310 into TurboTax Online
Begin by completing the personal information section showing the date of death. After entering their tax information, you can jump directly to the entry screen for Form 1310:
- In the TurboTax search box, enter form 1310 and press the Enter key,
Then click on the Jump to form 1310 link.
- On the Complete a Claim for Refund screen, answer Yes.
- Follow the prompts and answer the questions.
Form 1310 will have to be printed and signed, and the tax return mailed into the IRS.