Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:39:42 PM

Where is the best place to put additional medical premium payments when you are self employed? Schedule A or under the SE area?

I had HCA and my husband has Medicare. We are both self employed. Is it better to put my additional Medical premiums ($2300 total) in Schedule A? Or under the SE area… I assume SE since it comes off the AGI and not subject to 7.5%. Just checking since there are two places to put it. 

0 2 559
1 Best answer
Level 3
Jun 6, 2019 12:39:44 PM

If you are Self-Employed you will generally receive a bigger benefit if you claim it under the Self-Employed section simply because this is a dollar for dollar reduction of your business income and not subject to the 7.5% of AGI floor. 

2 Replies
Level 3
Jun 6, 2019 12:39:44 PM

If you are Self-Employed you will generally receive a bigger benefit if you claim it under the Self-Employed section simply because this is a dollar for dollar reduction of your business income and not subject to the 7.5% of AGI floor. 

Level 5
Jun 6, 2019 12:39:45 PM

Thanks. I thought so. Much like computer programs. TT (and the tax code) has a couple different ways to do the same thing. Important in this respect, though, to pick the right way. 🙂