Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Jun 28, 2023 4:22:44 PM

Virtual Currency basis

I've converted $10,000 US dollar to 10,000 USDT (stable coin) virtual currency in a service that returns 200 USDT per month but instead of converting it back to USD I roll over that 200 USDT each month back into the service and thus haven't converted anything back to USD or converted to another virtual currency.  Am I required to pay taxes on the returns that I roll over?

0 3 463
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 28, 2023 4:30:34 PM

Just to add, If you buy crypto, there's nothing to report until you sell. If you earned crypto through staking, a hard fork, an airdrop or via any method other than buying it, you'll  need to report it, even if you haven't sold it.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 28, 2023 4:28:35 PM

In general the answer is yes. You could have received it but chose not to. 

You still received income.

Expert Alumni
Jun 28, 2023 4:30:34 PM

Just to add, If you buy crypto, there's nothing to report until you sell. If you earned crypto through staking, a hard fork, an airdrop or via any method other than buying it, you'll  need to report it, even if you haven't sold it.

Expert Alumni
Jun 28, 2023 4:39:09 PM

Hi There:

Assuming the 200 monthly USDT is increasing your initial $10,000 USDT  by 200 USDT monthly then it is taxable at short term ordinary gain rates.  For a thought experiment, 200*12 equals a 24% rate of return, which makes me wonder if such a return is sustainable?  Btw, I'm an accountant not a financial planner, so re: viability of investment-please consult with a financial planner.