Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 15, 2019 10:33:50 AM

Turbo Tax tried to charge me for a state filing I don't even need to make

Have been using Turbo Tax happily for several years. Was surprised today when, even though I owe no state tax and am not required to file to the state due to level of state AGI, Turbo Tax tried to get me to file and pay them $19.99 for the filing (not for use of the forms - to do the efiling)! I am using the paid version that allows one state in addition to federal tax. Has anyone else had this experience?

0 4 591
4 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 15, 2019 12:37:33 PM

One state form is included with the desktop software, but state efiling is not included. Please see product link below for what is included.

CD/Download Software

Level 15
Feb 15, 2019 12:42:17 PM

the $19.99 charge for efiling a state return has been in place for many, many years (probably in place since electronic filing was first available as I have used TT for 25 years now)  That is not new this year! 

e-filing the federal has been free for many, many years. 

Feb 16, 2019 3:14:28 PM

Hmm. So maybe I filed it myself. But the weirdest part to me is that it did not know that I did not need to file at all due to difference in state AGI and federal AGI. It should have known that. I had to look it up myself. Turbo Tax did all of the calculations correctly and know that I owed now tax, but did not know that I specifically did NOT need to file. So to me they were wanting to collect $19.99 for something I did not need to do. Fortunately, I looked it up.

Level 2
Mar 25, 2019 10:01:30 AM

Please help.....why is my turbotax fee showing 24.99 for state tax filing?

Thanks